Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to replace pump all recomendations welcome.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to replace pump all recomendations welcome.

My jacuzzi magnum force 1.5hp pump bearings have gone bad and I am looking to just replace the entire pump. I'm hoping you guys may have some recommendations for a replacement. I have a 16x36 IG Vinyl pool with 2 skimmers 2 returns 1 suction and 1 main drain. I believe the pipes are 1 1/2'' I've attached pictures of my set up as well as the pump. Hopefully going to a 2 speed will help save some money. We've been running the pump 24/7 this summer and if I'm looking at the electric bill correctly then we currently pay 0.06570 per kwh.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16x36 IG vinyl with Hayward S244T Sand filter, 1.5HP Jacuzzi Magnum Force, Polaris 380 Cleaner with booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to replace pump all recomendations welcome.

Is your current pump 115V or 230V? Most 2-speed motors are 230V, so need to be sure you have that available or if you would be able to add that option.

If you do have 230V, I would suggest the Superflo 1HP 2-speed (SF-N2-1A). Comes with a built-in switch to select speeds and is a little smaller than your existing pump to also lower the cost to buy and run. Although you power is pretty cheap, so may take some time to offset the added cost of buying the 2-speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with jbliz, the sf-N2-1A would be a great fit for you pool. Another option would be the Hayward superpump sp2607x102s.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Make sure to check with your utility for rebates as well. Mine gives you $200 to install a 2 speed or a variable speed pump. That will certainly help offset the cost and shorten up the payback.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

5. Back To Top    #5

I think the current pump is wired for 115v, but I'm not entirely sure. What all would be involved in converting to 230v? I notice a lot of good reviews on here for Pentair Pumps would that be a good option to consider as well?
    16x36 IG vinyl with Hayward S244T Sand filter, 1.5HP Jacuzzi Magnum Force, Polaris 380 Cleaner with booster pump

6. Back To Top    #6

The Superflo 1HP 2-speed (SF-N2-1A) we suggested is Pentair ... but it is also 230V. Ideally You would need to run new wires from your breaker box to the timers to switch from 115V to 230V if that is what you have.

Add a closer picture of the timer wiring.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

The pump is hooked up to the timer on the right
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

That does not help ... way too many extra parts and wires in there to be able to tell what is going on.

It kind of looks like 230V wiring, but not 100% sure ... what breaker feeds that panel?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

The breaker that feeds that panel is located in the basement. A friend of mine is gonna stop by later today with a multimeter to test the voltage. Thank you guys for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I just have one more Q's, Would the pentair pump noted above in 1 1/2hp be overkill?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by hopegray5
    Would the pentair pump noted above in 1 1/2hp be overkill?
    Yes it would be unless you have some water features that we are unaware of. Any reason why you were thinking about the 1.5 hp?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.