Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Frog as chlorinator?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Frog as chlorinator?

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread to ask questions. Thanks, jblizzle

We have a Pool Frog as well. My pool guy said it was a money making gimmick. Having said that, CAN it be used to chlorinate the pool by putting in chlorine tablets? We are presently using a floater type chlorine dispenser that doesn't seem to keep the pool chlorinated enough and we have to add shock each week. Is there any harm in using it to auto chlorinate without using the mineral pack without harming anything? We have been battling a black algae problem since we bought this home (getting under control) and I think the lack of chlorine was the main issue.
    35k gal, sand, IG, diamond brite, Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15 Turbo SWG, Aquarite

2. Back To Top    #2

Long Beach, CA

Re: Pool Frog Question.... To use or not to use.

I suggest for you to start reading our Pool School and you will soon learn what your problems are with your pool.

To get a more personal response to your problems, I suggest posting a thread in the Algae-Prevention and Treatment section. Your thread will most likely take more than a few responses to help you along. Your chlorination method is leading to your problems and the Frog is not the answer for you.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Pool Frog Question.... To use or not to use.

Don't use the frog. The chlorine can be had for cheaper, and you really don't want that mineral pak putting stuff in your pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry