Sand coming out of hose during backwash?

Jun 30, 2013
I am currently SLAM'ing my pool and have been backwashing once a day and started noticing yesterday that sand was coming out (I back wash into a big bucket I later dump out). I also have notcied what appears like sand in the bags of the robotic vacuum, but I am not as sure on this part as I know our roof will blow things into the pool during a good wind and it could be lose stuff from the shingles...

Is sand coming out of the filter normal during heavy use (the filter is running fulltime now during SLAM). Should I wait until after SLAM'ing and look or is this a major issue I need to look into asap?

It would have to be this week. I was out of town for 8/9 days and came back to a greenish pool and started SLAM'ing and then noticed during backwashing.

Do I need to try and find a local repair person? I have no time to deal with fixing the pump myself and we have a big party this weekend with the pool and it needs to be back to normal...

Check the spider gasket in the filter's multiport valve. If it is not seated correctly or deteriorated it can allow sand to escape the filter. Is the only time sand escapes is when you backwash?

zea3 said:
Check the spider gasket in the filter's multiport valve. If it is not seated correctly or deteriorated it can allow sand to escape the filter. Is the only time sand escapes is when you backwash?

It might also be during normal filtering through the water return part, but I have not been able to conclusviely figure out if it is from the pump or the roof yet. If it also comes out from the return could that be from the spider gasket?

Maybe. A few more questions. Is there a lot of sand in the pool? Do you shut the pump off when you change settings on the multiport vale? Do you set the filter on rinse until the water runs clear after back washing?

One way to check if the filter is letting sand into the pool is to hold a clean sock over the return while the pump is running and see if you collect any sand in the sock.

zea3 said:
Maybe. A few more questions. Is there a lot of sand in the pool? Do you shut the pump off when you change settings on the multiport vale? Do you set the filter on rinse until the water runs clear after back washing?

One way to check if the filter is letting sand into the pool is to hold a clean sock over the return while the pump is running and see if you collect any sand in the sock.

Alot of sand -> not noticeable by looking at it, but the robotic vacuum seems to pick up a small amount

Shut off pump when switching -> Yes

Rinse -> Yes

Nice idea on the sock! Was trying to think how I could test it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.