Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand coming out of hose during backwash?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand coming out of hose during backwash?

I am currently SLAM'ing my pool and have been backwashing once a day and started noticing yesterday that sand was coming out (I back wash into a big bucket I later dump out). I also have notcied what appears like sand in the bags of the robotic vacuum, but I am not as sure on this part as I know our roof will blow things into the pool during a good wind and it could be lose stuff from the shingles...

Is sand coming out of the filter normal during heavy use (the filter is running fulltime now during SLAM). Should I wait until after SLAM'ing and look or is this a major issue I need to look into asap?
    Pool Info: 15,000 gallons, In Ground Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sand coming out of hose during backwash?

How much sand?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    How much sand?
    The water being backwashed looks like the color of sand and in the bucket I backwash into there is at least an inch or two of settlement

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yeah, that's way too much and needs to be fixed. When did this start happening?
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

It would have to be this week. I was out of town for 8/9 days and came back to a greenish pool and started SLAM'ing and then noticed during backwashing.

Do I need to try and find a local repair person? I have no time to deal with fixing the pump myself and we have a big party this weekend with the pool and it needs to be back to normal...

6. Back To Top    #6

Check the spider gasket in the filter's multiport valve. If it is not seated correctly or deteriorated it can allow sand to escape the filter. Is the only time sand escapes is when you backwash?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Check the spider gasket in the filter's multiport valve. If it is not seated correctly or deteriorated it can allow sand to escape the filter. Is the only time sand escapes is when you backwash?
    It might also be during normal filtering through the water return part, but I have not been able to conclusviely figure out if it is from the pump or the roof yet. If it also comes out from the return could that be from the spider gasket?

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe. A few more questions. Is there a lot of sand in the pool? Do you shut the pump off when you change settings on the multiport vale? Do you set the filter on rinse until the water runs clear after back washing?

One way to check if the filter is letting sand into the pool is to hold a clean sock over the return while the pump is running and see if you collect any sand in the sock.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Maybe. A few more questions. Is there a lot of sand in the pool? Do you shut the pump off when you change settings on the multiport vale? Do you set the filter on rinse until the water runs clear after back washing?

One way to check if the filter is letting sand into the pool is to hold a clean sock over the return while the pump is running and see if you collect any sand in the sock.
    Alot of sand -> not noticeable by looking at it, but the robotic vacuum seems to pick up a small amount

Shut off pump when switching -> Yes

Rinse -> Yes

Nice idea on the sock! Was trying to think how I could test it!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

in the bucket I backwash into there is at least an inch or two of settlement
    Explain what you mean by settlement....is it sand or debris that your filter has collected?
    Dave S.