Green Swamp in new IG pool

May 24, 2012
NJ
Hi! My sister's brand new pool is a green swamp because the builder told her that someone would come and balance the water but they never did.

I took a reading with my K2006:

FC 0
PH Off the charts high
TA 150
CH 225
CYA 0

It is an IG with vinyl liner. Don't know the gallons but it is 16 x 33 rectangular shaped and goes from 3 1/2 ft to 6 ft deep.

Do we start with the SLAM process first or start by getting the PH down?

Since there is no CYA in the pool is it ok to use the bags of shock? Or should we just go the Stabilizer/Bleach route?

The water is thick and green. I'll post a pic later if I can cuz I know you guys love them. :)

Thanks!

Get the PH down to 7.2. before starting the SLAM process.

I like to use just stabilize for the CYA because I know for sure how much I'm adding. Shoot for 30 ppm for the SLAM process. Then bleach for chlorine. IMO. Others will say different.

If you can test ph one hour after you added the MA and recalculate and redose. Repeat this until the ph is down to 7.2. It is likely her ph is still high.

Generally we say ph is not valid when the FC is above 10 ppm, but if you are using the taylor ph test, it probably is okay testing at 12 ppm FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jennica said:
Thanks, Linen. Does the PH being high hinder the chlorine killing the algae?
If ph is really high (or really low) it can. But with cya in the water, chlorine effectiveness at higher ph (<9) is not a big factor. The main reason we suggest a lower starting ph is to protect against the effects of the temporary boost in ph that will occur while SLAMing due to high FC levels maintained. This temporary higher ph could have the potential to cause calcium scaling or cloudiness depending on the other water parameters. It can also cause metal staining if their is sufficient metal in the water.

Success! After 24 hours and just a few doses the PH is in range and the water is cloudy, but blue.

She's going to keep up the SLAM process until she passes the OCLT. BBB strikes again!

The pics are from last night and this morning. It's even clearer and bluer now.

My sister thanks you!!!!

Attachments

• poolAM.jpg
    poolAM.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 89
  • poolAM2.jpg
    poolAM2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 88
  • PoolMon2.jpg
    PoolMon2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 88
She's getting to the end of the process and I think she will pass the OCLT tonight. The water is still pretty cloudy. I know that's dead algae but was wondering about how long that should take to clear? She has been running the filter non-stop.

Oh, ok. I know the criteria are less than 1 ppm FC loss and .5 CC or less, but I wasn't sure if clear water meant clear of green or clear as in not cloudy. Thanks!

It's a cartridge filter.

Clear as in clear to the bottom, no-cloudy.

With a cart filter, it most likely will need to be cleaned often. We recommend cleaning when the filter pressure goes up 25% from the clean filter pressure. What is the clean filter pressure?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.