Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice needed to control erosion around concrete deck.

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice needed to control erosion around concrete deck.

I really need advice on controlling erosion around our concrete deck. Our pool was built on a small downgrade, which required over 200 yards of sand backfill.

What is the best method of controlling runoff? Should I use corrugated drain pipe and gravel around the perimeter? Can I just add top soil and plant grass, or will it continue to erode?

Also, I would really appreciate some advice regarding landscaping. What is the best method of landscaping a steep backfill area? We are considering large rocks, but we live in the country surrounded by water and may have a problem with snakes.

Thank you.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave (Michigan)

20x40 IG, Auto Cover, Steel Walls 2R, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Pro Logic SWG, DE Filter, 2hp Pump, Color Logic Light, Diving Board, Typhoon Slide, 4 Jandy Deck Jets, Polaris 280, Hayward Propane Heater & Central Boiler With Heat Exchanger.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice needed to control erosion around concrete deck.

Quote Originally Posted by DP_Michigan
    I really need advice on controlling erosion around our concrete deck. Our pool was built on a small downgrade, which required over 200 yards of sand backfill.

What is the best method of controlling runoff? Should I use corrugated drain pipe and gravel around the perimeter? Can I just add top soil and plant grass, or will it continue to erode?

Also, I would really appreciate some advice regarding landscaping. What is the best method of landscaping a steep backfill area? We are considering large rocks, but we live in the country surrounded by water and may have a problem with snakes.

Thank you.

Dave
    Dave,
    For the short term, considering the approaching fall weather, is to install some straw wattles on the slope. See [http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/stormwate...cific&bmp=121] for a discussion on the best uses for them. If you go that route, you can get them from Home Depot or similar.

Once you have the wattles installed, then you will have time to establish your landscaping. If snakes are a problem, probably go with a low shrub or grass that will do well in your area. Your local nursery can help point you in the right direction.

Of course, depending on the type of snake, you may want a few around to help with the rodent population

Lakeport, CA
    42K IG plaster, built early 70's?
    Jandy SFTM25 sand filter (NEW for 2015!)
    3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

I have decided to use corrugated drain pipe with stone to control erosion / drainage problems around concrete deck.

I have also decided to landscape our steep slope with landscape fabric, large boulders and river rock.

Wish me luck.

Thanks.

Dave
    Dave (Michigan)

20x40 IG, Auto Cover, Steel Walls 2R, Vinyl Liner, Hayward Pro Logic SWG, DE Filter, 2hp Pump, Color Logic Light, Diving Board, Typhoon Slide, 4 Jandy Deck Jets, Polaris 280, Hayward Propane Heater & Central Boiler With Heat Exchanger.

4. Back To Top    #4

Good luck Dave!

Lakeport, CA
    42K IG plaster, built early 70's?
    Jandy SFTM25 sand filter (NEW for 2015!)
    3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice pool. We have a very similar build starting this week (rectangle as well) with an 18" high side where our yard slopes off towards the woods.. Please post picks of the completed landscaping ! On a side note what liner did you chose. I like the water color. Much appreciated.
    Kafko 15x28 Rectangle granite grey liner pool - Kafko 8 foot granite grey steps / Kafko 8 foot granite grey sunledge - Hayward Equipment - Kafko Safety Cover - Beachcomber 750 hot tub

6. Back To Top    #6

rather than a slope, can you make it "shelves". We have a large slope and we are putting a small 2 foot wall, then a planter area, another 3 foot wall, another planter area, and then one more section. There will be 3 planter areas stepping up to the patio.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG