Freezing Pool

Mar 16, 2013
For those of us that decide to keep their above gound pool up during the winter months. How does freezing water affect the liner/pool. Does the exspansion stretch the liner or hurt the poles?

I'm deployed to Kuwait and it really is too much for my wife to take it down by herself.

She knows to drain the water below the return holes and to disconnect all the pumps and move inside.

We are just worried about the possiblity of the freezing water doing damage to the pool.

Thank you in advance for your help.

As freezing water expands, it will take the path of least resistance. Draining at least 6" below the lowest return/skimmer opening leaves plenty of head space for the water to expand more upward than outward. When I was a kid, many friends/relatives that live up north had AG pools that they left up all winter. While the vinyl liners had to be replaced periodically as part of normal wear & tear, the basic structure lasted at least until we all went to college - maybe even longer but I lost track at that point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.