Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Freezing Pool

Freezing Pool

For those of us that decide to keep their above gound pool up during the winter months. How does freezing water affect the liner/pool. Does the exspansion stretch the liner or hurt the poles?

I'm deployed to Kuwait and it really is too much for my wife to take it down by herself.

She knows to drain the water below the return holes and to disconnect all the pumps and move inside.

We are just worried about the possiblity of the freezing water doing damage to the pool.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Freezing Pool

Not that I have seen on the two intex pools I have observed over the last three winters.
    TFP Moderator who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

I've been in my house almost 4 years and we moved in during the middle of winter. Pool was full and frozen that year, and each year since has been a block of ice at one time or another. No issues yet.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl Doughboy, 1.5HP Hayward PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater
    Pool Store year 1 - pool open 2 months, $850; Pool Store year 2 - pool open 2 months, $440
    TFPC year 1 - pool open 4 months, $170; TFPC year 2 - pool open 4.5 months, $95

As freezing water expands, it will take the path of least resistance. Draining at least 6" below the lowest return/skimmer opening leaves plenty of head space for the water to expand more upward than outward. When I was a kid, many friends/relatives that live up north had AG pools that they left up all winter. While the vinyl liners had to be replaced periodically as part of normal wear & tear, the basic structure lasted at least until we all went to college - maybe even longer but I lost track at that point.
    TFP Moderator 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, PoolMath, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is as important to your pool as water.

Thank you all for your reply. They all helped build my confidence.

Sgt - I am also thinking of leaving my intext ultra frame up - let me know what you come up with for plugs for your inlet and outlet holes.

Quote Originally Posted by bper1234
    Sgt - I am also thinking of leaving my intext ultra frame up - let me know what you come up with for plugs for your inlet and outlet holes.

Roger that!