South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hello. I just had solar panels installed. I have a 2-speed pump, and the solar controller is set up to switch the pump into high speed when solar heating is needed. When my pool was set up, the installers set it so that the salt water chlorinator only runs in low-speed mode. Their explanation as to why wasn't a great one, but at the time it didn't matter.

Now that I have the chlorinator, it does, as the pool will be running more, and in winter a lot, in high-speed mode. The tech who installed the panels had many misconceptions about pool functioning, so I take what he said with a great degree of suspicion, but when I asked him about whether to have the chlorinator run in high-speed mode too, he said:
  • The amount of chlorine produced is similar in high and low speed modes, i.e. it is independent of the speed of the pump
    The hotter water will consume more chlorine.

I read a post on here that JasonLion said that hotter water does use more chlorine. However it was my impression overall that UV consumes chlorine. My fear with turning the chlorinator on in high speed was that if the output of chlorine went up because of the high-speed, and in cooler/less sunny months the heater would run more, that my chlorine could quickly get high with a temperature drop. But if the output is the same, I will just need to to adjust the chlorine % just a little. And more chlorine consumption because of the higher water temperature balances a little the less chlorine consumption because of less UV in the cooler periods.

Would you guys agree that I should have the system settings changed to run the chlorinator in high-speed mode too?

Re: new Solar Heater - questions about Chlorine Usage and SW

Pump speed doesn't matter for swg chlorine production, unless the flow is too low for the swg flow sensor. I would run the pump on high when solar heating, and on low for the rest of the time.

linen said:
Pump speed doesn't matter for swg chlorine production, unless the flow is too low for the swg flow sensor. I would run the pump on high when solar heating, and on low for the rest of the time.
That is what I do ;)

Thanks, guys.

Any ideas about chlorine consumption, whether it's just UV that consumes the chlorine in the pool, or whether heat from a hotter (solar heated) pool is an additional factor in determining chlorine consumption?

Chlorine is consumed by 2 things. The sun and organics in the pool. The water temp changes the ability of stuff to start growing, you will need more chlorine when the water is warmer.

Keep an eye on your stabilizer, cyanuric acid, as well. It helps protect the chlorine. You also need to make sure your pump runs enough hours for the chlorinator to create enough chlorine for the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.