Complete IG Vinyl Pool Rebuilt

drb

Sep 15, 2013
Buffalo,NY
[attachment=0:1fkvchqb]pool.jpg[/attachment:1fkvchqb]I have a 40 year old 16 x 32 20k gallon rectangle IG vinyl pool that will be going thru a complete reno in a couple of weeks and would appreciate any advice. I will be tearing up all the concrete [1000 SF [pool deck and patio]] so anything in reason is doable. I want the pool to be setup in a way that promotes long liner life and runs as efficiently as possible.

First thing I doing is having the corners redone with a 2' radius instead of the current 6". I think this will improve liner life, I currently get about 10 years and the corners are what always tear. I will also be adding 8' Roman steps, a waterfall, and a fire bowl or pit. Also I will be replacing both the pump and filter.

So first question; What pump should I get ? I want efficent, I am think of getting a 2-speed and using with a 3-way switch. Currently my pool has 1.5 lines, should I insist the builder use 2" or is either way OK? What model pumps do you suggest? The builder also wants to use a separate pump for the waterfall. The waterfall will be about 50' from the pump and be about 3' high. It will have [2] 24" jandy falls.

I am trying to attach pics but so far I ve been unsuccesful.

Thanks for any advice.
Daren

Since you're tearing up the deck anyway, I'd have them replace the plumbing around the pool with 2" and run each return and skimmer separately back to the equipment pad. A separate pump for the waterfall sounds like a good idea to me.

When I put a liner in a 6" radius pool I order the liner made for a 3" radius and the corners fit great. Seems to me that is alot of money switching to a 2' radius, money that could be used elseware in your project. Just my opinion

When I put a liner in a 6" radius pool I order the liner made for a 3" radius and the corners fit great.

It was my idea to go with raduis cornors, the PB said it could be done. I will check with him on ordering liner with 3" radius.

My pool will have 2" lines. There will be [2] main drain [on one line] 50' run to equip pad, skimmer line with 70' run, vaucum line 40' run. There will be [2] returns with 20' run. The waterfall is on a separate pump so I didn't include that. The pool ia about 20k gallons. I want a 2-speed pump [whipserflo i guess]. What size should I get? Any ideas?

Thanks
Daren

Since you're putting the water feature on a separate pump, a 3/4 to 1 hp full rated or 1 to 1½ hp uprated pump would be a good size pump. You might want to look at the filter too. What size is the one you have now?

It is a statie SD75(?) I think. It is DE with 37.5 SF of filtering area. It is 15 + years old need new grids and back wash valve. I think I will just replace it. Any suggestions ? I think I will go with Pentair cause I heard if pump and filter is same manufactor you get longer warranty.

Thanks Daren

10 years out of a liner seems like a decent lifespan to me. I was told 7 to 10 years. Should I be hopeful for more?

Regarding the replumbing, if the pipes are down on the concrete collar that would represent a pretty decent expense. I have my 6 returns plumbed in 3 pairs with 1 1/2 inch lines to each pair, 1 1/2 inch line on the bottom drain, and 2 inch from the skimmers. I figured that the material that gets sucked into the bottom drain will likely be larger and heavier so keeping the velocity up in the pipes will keep it from settling out.

Since you are redoing the deck, you might consider changing out the liner track to allow a cantilever coping. It gives you more options for your deck and really changes the look of the pool, although it is more expensive than having the deck poured up to the metal coping.

10 years out of a liner seems like a decent lifespan to me. I was told 7 to 10 years. Should I be hopeful for more?

I know more people who get more than 10 then who get less. I seen a couple with 15+

Regarding the replumbing, if the pipes are down on the concrete collar that would represent a pretty decent expense.

The only line that could be in a concrete collar is the main drain and I lost that line 18 years ago. PB to put new one in so he just dig/tunnel around the collar if there is one.

Since you are redoing the deck, you might consider changing out the liner track to allow a cantilever coping. It gives you more options for your deck and really changes the look of the pool, although it is more expensive than having the deck poured up to the metal coping.

Cantilever coping is in the budget [$1600] extra. Then going with color concrete with a stain boarder. Patio will be stamped color concrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A few more questions on equipment;

Is it OK to use a SWG on vinyl pools with steel walls? I believe it is but when I was researching a fiberglass pool instead of reconditioning the current pool I was told it was bad because the walls could rust. I am thinking I was told that cause they wanted to sell me a FG pool.

Which SWG do more people favor, the Autopilot Digital or the Pentair IC-40. If I go with the autopilot which size do I use; the RC-35 / SC-36, or the RC-42 / SC-48. My pool is about 20k I know you should go bigger but how much bigger?

I originally decided to go with a 1HP Pentair 2-speed WhisperFlo pump and was suggested to go a with 48sf filter (I want DE) and I was going to use the pentair, but should I consider Hayward instead? My PB seems to prefer Hayward.

Also I don't care if all equipment comes from same mfg so I would want the easy DE filter to clean and maintain, what are your thoughts on that. Work is suppose to start sometime next week. I'll try to post a few more before pics

Thanks for any and all help

Another question on SWG; Is the Digital Nano +, which is rated at 28K large enough for my pool [just under 20K] ? I am looking for ease of installation and the PB has only worked with the Nano. My main concern would be in how difficult to wire SWG to only run when there is power to a 2-speed pump.

Again thanks for all the help
Daren

I'm running a SWCG with steel walls and the consensus seems to be if everything is properly bonded and the levels are controlled, you will be fine. I can't vouch for that because I built my pool 2 months ago.

As for the unit, they are pretty simple to hook up. The cell pulls power off of the relay for the pump so it only comes on with the pump. You will be setting your timer to operate the pump for a set period of time per day. You just set the cell output to generate enough chlorine over that time period to maintain your target FC level.

Concrete work has started. There is mostly some surface rust with heavier rust in corner. I guess now I will have to get the 2' radius corners. This rust isn't to serrious to stop the project, is it? I haven't talked to PB yet but I know he is putting foam on the walls. Is there any other treatment I should insist on to treat the rust. Also, should this make me not want toput a SWG in this pools? Pics attached. The rust on bottom of corner is just wet not really rusted as bad as it seems

Thanks for any help
Daren

That rust is pretty much all surface. I would think foam alone would take care of the issue, but there are specialty coatings available that can stop the corrosion. The best stuff I have found is available through automotive body supply shops. I have used a product called POR 15 (paint over rust) which worked very well for me, but I have been told that the formula has been changed and it isn't as good as it was. Either way, the products are basically catalyzed coatings that permanent seal the corrosion so that oxygen can't get to it to create the oxidation. Considering what you are probably going to be paying for the job, another $50 or so for this stuff can't hurt.

As for the SWCG, from what I have been told as long as the pool is properly bonded and the levels are controlled you should be fine.

Looking remarkably good! :goodjob:

I noticed your coping tiles sitting in one corner on the pool wall. Have you considered cutting those tiles to wedge shapes so the grout lines are the same width front to back? I know it's a hassle but would add to the smooth curvature of your pool corners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.