Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2.0 hp pump for above ground Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

2.0 hp pump for above ground Pool?

Hello, we have a HP 1.5 pump. Should we go to a 2.0? And I really thought I would just stick to the Hi Flo name brand since it has lasted for over 3 yrs. Don't know about other brands. Any suggestions? BTW I forgot to add to my profile that it is a salt water above ground pool as well. Thanks in advance!
    Murchison TX
    Cornelious AG Pool Salt Water System
    16' X 32' 54 in.
    Sand Filter Hi Flo Pump 48 Frame HP 1.5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2.0 hp pump for above ground Pool?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Usually we recommend a 1.0 hp pump or a 2 speed pump for a pool the size of yours. Is there a reason you are considering a stronger pump?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the fast response. Our pump just went out, so I need to get my hands on one pretty fast. Have been looking online to purchase one.
    Murchison TX
    16' X 32' 54 in.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree with zea, for your pool I would go with a 3/4 to 1 hp 2-speed such as the pentair dynamo, or the hayward matrix.

What is wrong with your current pump? Does the motor not start?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

the motor is not starting. My hubby wants to know what is the difference between a 1 speed and a two speed.
    Murchison TX
    16' X 32' 54 in.

6. Back To Top    #6

2.0 hp pump for above ground Pool?

Another vote for 1 hp 2 speed. I have a Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1 hp 2 speed. It's plenty of pump for my pool.

1 you'll save money on electric with a 2 speed running on low speed most of the time for general filtration. Youl'll also get better filtration on low as your moving the water thru the filter slower. You can use high speed for better skimmer action and for mixing chem's after you add them and for vacuuming.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

will it matter that my filter isn't a Hayward or Pentair?
    Murchison TX
    16' X 32' 54 in.

8. Back To Top    #8

Nope
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm pretty sure the pump doesn't care who manufactured the filter. Just as long as everything mates up.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, yall rock!!!
    Murchison TX
    16' X 32' 54 in.