Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green water and funny testing results.

1. Back To Top    #1

Green water and funny testing results.

Just back home from Afghanistan. Thanks to all the help you gave my wife while gone.

Question about test kit results. Trying to perform TA test. 25 ml of water in cylinder. Added 2 drops of r-0007. Water stays clear. Add 5 drops of r-0008 and mixed and solution turns red-pink. No green or blue as the instructions say. ????? Is this a bad test kit or are the results that far off?

PH <6.8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG-vinyl liner, 39,000 gallons, Hayward 1 1/2 hp super pump, Sand filter (not sure on flow)
    Locale - NE Texas

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Green water and funny testing results.

That means that your TA is very low. You need to add enough washing soda to get the pH up to about 7.2 and then test it and the TA again. It may take several adjustments to get it into range.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

There are extended test kit directions available. Here is the post that describes the TA test: extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html#p206395. As Dave stated, you'll get pink, red, or yellow with a TA of 0 and a low pH (which you also have).
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

It sounds like you wife was using trichlor pucks (or dichlor granules) again after we last "talked" to her. Until you/she stop using chlorine sources that add cya to your water, you will continue with this cycle of needing to drain the pool often. See:

Deal with the ph/TA first, but then I would do another partial drain refill to get your cya in check.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.