Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buried Above Ground Pool Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Buried Above Ground Pool Questions

Hello,

I live in Dallas, Texas and am in the process of partially burying a 18' X 52" round Intex Sequoia pool. The pool will be exposed 8" above ground with all areas above ground covered with tar paper. The hole has been dug and the ground is level. The contractor will be installing the pool in 3 days and I have a few questions.

1. Should I install an additional liner on top of the included one, just in case?

2. Should I backfill with a slurry of concrete and sand rather than dirt?

3. The GFI plug is 15' from the pool, should I have a GFI outlet installed closer to the pool pump?

4. Will the (2) 35 watt submerged pool lights require individual GFI outlets or may I plug the lights and pool pump into the same 4 plug GFI outlet?

Thanks for the help
    8247 Gallon, AG, Clear Saltwater, 18' X 52 round, Wood Grain Sequoia - Buried
    Built - September 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buried Above Ground Pool Questions

I dont have any answers to your questions but would like to see some pics of the process if at all possible!!!
    Intex 14x48 Ultra Frame 4,600 Gal
    1,000 gph Intex cartridge filter
    TF-100
    Savannah, GA

3. Back To Top    #3

I live in Oak Cliff in Dallas in a very old house built in the mid 60's. I started with an empty backyard and dream.

Pics. are in succession of progress with the final pic being current state after dig

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qrkrpen2qiwxufa/CR98td4Byh
    Built - September 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

Built - September 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Other site pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/c16syktnfzygkdh/rK9OH4Pf1m

Pool is between trees and gazebo is to the right of pool
    Built - September 2013

6. Back To Top    #6

BTW labor is very inexpensive here in Texas

Pool = $600.00
    Dig Hole, Level, and Install = $1,000
    Supplies = $300
    Built - September 2013

7. Back To Top    #7

Hopefully someone will answer your questions soon. But i really want to see the finished project
    Intex 14x48 Ultra Frame 4,600 Gal
    1,000 gph Intex cartridge filter
    TF-100
    Savannah, GA

8. Back To Top    #8

Perhaps someone will. If they don't, I'll wing it. If it doesn't work out, at least I gained a few valuable skills that may be useful in the future. My next project is an outdoor kitchen. Plan on using freestanding kichen components from the cardboard furniture store (Ikea). However, I need to learn how to weld. I asked one of the guys about teaching me and he laughed and said senorita no weld. Ha ha ha
    Built - September 2013

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by TChess
    Hello,

I live in Dallas, Texas and am in the process of partially burying a 18' X 52" round Intex Sequoia pool. The pool will be exposed 8" above ground with all areas above ground covered with tar paper. The hole has been dug and the ground is level. The contractor will be installing the pool in 3 days and I have a few questions.

1. Should I install an additional liner on top of the included one, just in case?
    I see no benefit to having a second liner.

2. Should I backfill with a slurry of concrete and sand rather than dirt?
    I wouldn't use concrete, dirt will work just fine.

3. The GFI plug is 15' from the pool, should I have a GFI outlet installed closer to the pool pump?
    That depends on what your JHA (jurisdiction having authority) says and/or where the equipment is going to be.

4. Will the (2) 35 watt submerged pool lights require individual GFI outlets or may I plug the lights and pool pump into the same 4 plug GFI outlet?
    Your pump should be on a single outlet. Your lights can plug into the same circuit, but it should be different from the pump.

Thanks for the help
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Built - September 2013

11. Back To Top    #11

That turned out really nice. I know this thread is a month old but, I did the same and did not have to deal with trees that close.. I bet that was ****.. would like to see more pics, you got anymore ?
    13k - Martinique 15x30 52"
    Sta-Rite crystal flo 22" sand filter & 1.5 spl rated
    Gorilla pad / waveless wall foam / foam cove
    Buried 2ft TF-100, TFPC