Help SLAMing the pool with possible Mustard Algae (NooB ?)

JohnD5000

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2013
Hello,

Glad to be part of the forum. I've learned a lot so far, I just need to learn more and help persuade my wife this approach really is better than spending money at Leslie's and having the CYA shoot up (even more; see below).

So I noticed a yellowish green tint to the shaded walls in my pool and sure enough when I brushed it off and did a normal shock (new owner of pool here with leftover shock from previous owner) it seemed to go away just to come back. I have now begun the slamming process and here were my first numbers before the slamming began using the TF-100 kit.

PH: 7.8
FC: 4.0
CC: .5
TC: 4.5
TA: 80
CYA 70

I then reduced the PH to the 7.4-7.5 range per slamming directions.

The first night of slamming (10:25 PM) FC was at 28 (per chart) and remained 28 the next morning at 7:45 AM.
Then, we got a bunch of rain. FC dropped to 15 5 days after slamming began (I did not add chlorine during heavy rains).
Once rains stopped I brought FC up to 33. 8 hours later FC=23. Last night I raised FC to mid 30's (did not measure) and used 1.75 gallons of yellow gone leftover from Leslie's and previous owner. This morning at 7:00 AM my numbers were:

FC 7.0
CC 0
TC 7.0

Something is consuming my chlorine at a rapid rate. Do I continue slamming at the mustard algae levels? Or is there another solution I should think about at this time. Does anyone know if the Yellow Gone stuff consumes chlorine too?

Anyway, any help/advice will be appreciated!

Best,

Re: Help SLAMing the pool with possible Mustard Algae (NooB

Welcome to TFP! !

You need to complete the normal SLAM process and then raise the FC to mustard level per the article in Pool School.

The sun will consume more FC while at higher FC levels. I think I recall reading that the yellow out may infact consume it as well, try a forum search.

Yeah, that "yellow gone" or "yellow out" stuff does consume chlorine.

A prime tenant of BBB is don't put things in your pool when you are not sure what they will do.

Follow the SLAM process to it's completion and keep your FC up the entire time, regardless of how much it takes.

Thanks for your responses. I've only had the pool a month and I am still learning so forgive the experimentation with other products. At this point, I think I am going to end the SLAM process as we are scheduled to get rain over the next week. I thought I would just keep the FC at the target for mustard algae (10.5 given my CYA) until the forecast is for dry weather. Also, I should note that I did pass the big three tests at the normal SLAM level but only failed the OLCT when I bumped to the mustard levels. I read that others have this issue. Does anyone know why?

Got it. Thanks for the tip about the rain. But how would I possibly pass an OCLT if it rains overnight? Just bought a house and really trying to conserve funds.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.