Glad to be part of the forum. I've learned a lot so far, I just need to learn more and help persuade my wife this approach really is better than spending money at Leslie's and having the CYA shoot up (even more; see below).
So I noticed a yellowish green tint to the shaded walls in my pool and sure enough when I brushed it off and did a normal shock (new owner of pool here with leftover shock from previous owner) it seemed to go away just to come back. I have now begun the slamming process and here were my first numbers before the slamming began using the TF-100 kit.
I then reduced the PH to the 7.4-7.5 range per slamming directions.
The first night of slamming (10:25 PM) FC was at 28 (per chart) and remained 28 the next morning at 7:45 AM.
Then, we got a bunch of rain. FC dropped to 15 5 days after slamming began (I did not add chlorine during heavy rains).
Once rains stopped I brought FC up to 33. 8 hours later FC=23. Last night I raised FC to mid 30's (did not measure) and used 1.75 gallons of yellow gone leftover from Leslie's and previous owner. This morning at 7:00 AM my numbers were:
Something is consuming my chlorine at a rapid rate. Do I continue slamming at the mustard algae levels? Or is there another solution I should think about at this time. Does anyone know if the Yellow Gone stuff consumes chlorine too?
Anyway, any help/advice will be appreciated!