1. Back To Top    #1

Need advices on balancing my water

This is the test result on 9/13/2013
    FC: 5
    Salt: 2500
    CYA: 15
    TA: 130
    pH: 8.0

I added 10 oz of dry acid to lower my TA and pH. Added 16 lbs of salt too because i wanted it to be at 3000. Also added 3 qt 15 fl oz of instant pool water conditioner from leslie's to raise CYA. I tested it again today and here are the results:

Salt: 3300
    CYA: 20
    TA: 200
    pH: 8.0

My added dry acid yesterday to lower my TA and pH but it went up even more...so I am confused . I guess I added to much salt so I just put some more fresh water in to offset it. I went ahead and added another 10 oz of dry acid today hoping it will go down tomorrow. Did I do something wrong? my water is looking fine and I hope it stay that way when I go outside tomorrow .
    Intex AG 16ft x 4ft, 5061-gallon
    Cartridge filter-1,500 GPH using it with intex saltwater system CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advices on balancing my water

What are you using for a test kit?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Need advices on balancing my water

Your CYA level needs to be 70-80 for your SWG.

Look at this to lower your TA pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity. A lower TA will slow your PH from raising quickly. What's the TA of your fill water?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

I used the tf-100 kit

Edit: I haven't bother to test the TA of my filling water. Only got the test kit yesterday.

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you certain you used dry acid and didn't accidentally use borax (or Baking soda or Washing soda)?

Did you add any water to the pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Test your fill water TA.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

yes I used dry acid. I bought that at leslie's. I added water in today after the second test to offset the salt level.

8. Back To Top    #8

How much water did you add? What is your fill water TA and ph?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    Test your fill water TA.
    will do in the morning. It's dark out right now and I don't want to battle with bugs and mosquitoes

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    How much water did you add? What is your fill water TA and ph?
    I am not sure how much water I added. I just used garden hose and stood there for 10 minutes . I will do those tests tomorrow and report back. I didn't know that you need to test the fill water first before messing with the pool water. I am very new at this so I went to Leslie's when I first filled up the water. I brought a sample of my garden hose water with me but they told me I have to shock the water first with Chlor Brite Granular Chlorine bag that they sell. I did that and added salt in and went back to them with the water to test it. They told me I shouldn't have shock the water since I am using the saltwater system and that is why my pH is high and too much chlorine. I told them it was them who told me to shock the water and walked out. Glad I found this site and found out about TF-100 kit so I can test it myself instead of relying on them.

11. Back To Top    #11

Some fill water can be very high in TA, especially private well water. My well water is usually above 300 ppm TA with a high ph as well.

12. Back To Top    #12

my fill water pH is 8.1 and TA is 98

13. Back To Top    #13

How do you get a ta of 98 with the tf-100?

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    How do you get a ta of 98 with the tf-100?
    oops I mistyped that. It's 90 . Didn't have much time yesterday to sit down and type so I just typed it real quick and went outside to do yard work and cleaning my pool.

15. Back To Top    #15

This is my newest test:

Salt: 3200
    CYA: 50
    TA: 100
    pH: 7.4

Would it be a good idea to mess with the water and try to bring CYA up? or should I just leave it be? Also should I let the filter and saltwater system run at night or in the morning (does it matter at all)?

16. Back To Top    #16

With a SWG pool, its usually recommended that you bring your CYA level to around 70ppm and target a FC level of 5 and never let it fall below 3. I'm no expert on SWG's but I don't think it would make any difference whether you're running the pump and SWG at night or in the daytime as long as you can maintain those levels of FC. I believe however that it is also recommended that you split your pump run time into 2 equal sessions per day in order to help with skimming debris off the surface of the pool, so you may want to factor that in when making your decision.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

17. Back To Top    #17

any stabilizer you recommend? I got my first liquid conditioner at leslie's and those are so expensive....$36 I think.

18. Back To Top    #18

I've seen several endorsements for the granular HTH brand at WalMart. Just make sure you get the one thats full strength. I think I saw it mentioned that they also carry one thats only about 50% CYA, but only slightly cheaper. Otherwise, as long its near 100% CYA and not some "magic blend" of various chemicals let price be your guide. As you've seen the liquid is rather expensive so stay with granular.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

19. Back To Top    #19

cool thank for the advices everyone