28,600 gal IG vinyl in STL Missouri. We had a hot wave last week of a few days reaching 100, but now we are having highs in the low-mid 80s (soon to only reach the 70s), and the lows now are mid-40s (last night was 45 degrees). Pool temp at 8am was 74, and at 6pm was 81. We are scheduled to be cloudy with possible rain the next few days... and our neighbor has a nearly full-size River Birch tree RIGHT next to our fence/deep end of the pool, which has already started shedding leaves. We have also noticed a sudden increase in a "green dust" coating the bottom & some sides, as well as along almost all major seams. Our BBB numbers have been perfect, so I'm a tad confused on that one.
I have read Pool School & all the posts suggesting we wait to close til water is in/below 60 degrees, but with the cruddy weather ahead, and it already too cold for anyone to enjoy swimming, what would be the best immediate plan for us?? Should we go ahead & put the mesh cover on - maybe not locking all the grommet thingys down yet - and continue testing/treating until its below 60?? Or should we super shock, shut her down, winterize & start the countdown clock for Opening Day??
Our biggest question, I suppose, is other than the colder temps preventing algae, what are the benefits of waiting? We're attempting to weigh the cost differences of continuing to run the pump without swimming.... or potentially having to add extra chemicals to remedy green water? Last year, we were warm all thru September & closed early October (dont know any temps or test numbers.. I was a total dumb rookie then). We then opened late April, and the water was nearly perfect.
We're torn & really can't decide. Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas or concerns will be much appreciated!!
Thanks so much!!!