Ultra frame in freezing climate

jcp

Aug 14, 2012
Mid Missouri
I'm taking down my easy set for the winter. I'd prefer not to do it again next year. For those in freezing climates who leave your ultra frames up year round. To winterize do you drain below skimmer or simply close the intex valves?

I'm thinking about getting an ultra to put up next year and leave up year round, just wondering how you all are doing it.

Any pool with the potential to freeze solid should drain below the skimmer and drain the pipes/hoses and filter. If you have hoses they will split if water freezes inside of them.

I'm talking about specific to the Intex ultra frames, with standard Intex plunger valves. Are the folks who leave them up year round just closing the valves, disconnecting / draining the peripheral equipment, and covering. Or are they actually draining their pools below the plunger valves.

linen said:
With some local intexs (mn) we drain below the wall penetrations and remove the valves and store them inside. Also drain and store the pump inside.

Any ballpark idea how many years they are getting from the pools leaving them up year round? I was just wondering how the additional 8 months or so of sun / uv exposure may affect the lifespan.

I know of two that have weathered 3 years and still seem fine. They were both covered with opaque covers, though the sides weren't entirely covered. However, the winter sun angle is low, so they don't likely get exposed to much uv.

linen said:
I know of two that have weathered 3 years and still seem fine. They were both covered with opaque covers, though the sides weren't entirely covered. However, the winter sun angle is low, so they don't likely get exposed to much uv.
MN gets pretty much just as cold as Manitoba, so I should be safe to leave mine up when I get a new Ultra next year. I was worrying about it if I could or not since it gets as low as -40 in the winter here. Mostly around the -30-35 though.

You're not going to avoid the elements after covering a pool. If water pools on top of the cover and it's a lot, drain it off. Snow n ice? I don't mess with and you shouldn't either as long as the pool n legs look fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.