Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ultra frame in freezing climate

1. Back To Top    #1

Ultra frame in freezing climate

I'm taking down my easy set for the winter. I'd prefer not to do it again next year. For those in freezing climates who leave your ultra frames up year round. To winterize do you drain below skimmer or simply close the intex valves?

I'm thinking about getting an ultra to put up next year and leave up year round, just wondering how you all are doing it.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ultra frame in freezing climate

Any pool with the potential to freeze solid should drain below the skimmer and drain the pipes/hoses and filter. If you have hoses they will split if water freezes inside of them.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm talking about specific to the Intex ultra frames, with standard Intex plunger valves. Are the folks who leave them up year round just closing the valves, disconnecting / draining the peripheral equipment, and covering. Or are they actually draining their pools below the plunger valves.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

With some local intexs (mn) we drain below the wall penetrations and remove the valves and store them inside. Also drain and store the pump inside.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    With some local intexs (mn) we drain below the wall penetrations and remove the valves and store them inside. Also drain and store the pump inside.
    Any ballpark idea how many years they are getting from the pools leaving them up year round? I was just wondering how the additional 8 months or so of sun / uv exposure may affect the lifespan.

6. Back To Top    #6

I know of two that have weathered 3 years and still seem fine. They were both covered with opaque covers, though the sides weren't entirely covered. However, the winter sun angle is low, so they don't likely get exposed to much uv.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    I know of two that have weathered 3 years and still seem fine. They were both covered with opaque covers, though the sides weren't entirely covered. However, the winter sun angle is low, so they don't likely get exposed to much uv.
    MN gets pretty much just as cold as Manitoba, so I should be safe to leave mine up when I get a new Ultra next year. I was worrying about it if I could or not since it gets as low as -40 in the winter here. Mostly around the -30-35 though.

8. Back To Top    #8

What would the covering process consist of. Cover plus water jugs? How do I avoid snow, ice, water issues with the cover?

9. Back To Top    #9

You're not going to avoid the elements after covering a pool. If water pools on top of the cover and it's a lot, drain it off. Snow n ice? I don't mess with and you shouldn't either as long as the pool n legs look fine.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter