Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help using TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help using TF-100

I just got the TF-100 kit and started testing my pool that has been cloudy for several weeks. But I'm a bit confused. Per the basic test, total chlorine is above 5. When I do the Chlorine Drop test, FC and CC is 0. How can that be?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help using TF-100

How are you doing the DPD-FAS test?

Check this out, and see if you get different results......extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

How much water and how much powder did you use when you did the FAS-DPD test?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I followed the Chlorine Drop Test instructions in the TF-100 kit. Reading the link provided by Charlie_R, maybe I need to add another scoop of R-0870 powder. I will try that.

Also, how do I test for CYA that's higher than 100? I can't seem to find a post on that.

5. Back To Top    #5

Mix equal parts of pool water with tap water (which contains no CYA). Then using that water perform the test and double the result.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Also, how do I test for CYA that's higher than 100? I can't seem to find a post on that.[/quote]

You can combine pool water and tap water in a 50/50 mix. Add that to the proper fill level then add your reagent. Your result would then be doubled.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Using 2 scoops of R-0870 did the trick. My FC is 35 and CC is 0.5. Now I have to get an accurate reading of my CYA which I know is above 100. I will do the 50/50 trick. Thanks for the help.

8. Back To Top    #8

Do the 50/50 as described. If the reading is STILL near or over 100, dump out half of the mix and add more tap water, mix and retest multiplying the result by 4 ... you will lose accuracy, but should give you a little better idea.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by lipool
    My FC is 35 and CC is 0.5.
    Just thought I mention:
    Quote Originally Posted by lipool
    Per the basic test, total chlorine is above 5.
    If your FC +CC is actually 35.5, the OTO should show a dark orange or brown, not yellow.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.