New winter cover choices

Jun 17, 2011
Central Iowa
Hi everyone. New pool owner here this summer and we didn't get a winter cover with our package so the investigative work begins before it's time to close it up.
The Arctic Armor Rugged Mesh cover really "sounds" great. Water only filters thru and keeps debris out. Sounds like it's light to work with and maybe easier to handle. BUT how long will it last? Anyone have this cover? Can I expect it to last 5 years or the typical 1-2 like I've been hearing everyone else deals with?
http://www.pcpools.com/winterpoolcovers/abovegroundwintercovers/product/wc600/

I also was looking into the Hurricane Pool covers. I can get last years model for about the same price as the mesh cover above. This one however is solid and you will need to pump off water or install $70 drain kit they offer. It sounds more durable but what's reality? Anyone use this cover multiple years with success?
http://hurricaneabovegroundpoolcovers.com/

If anyone has another cover to suggest that would be great!!
Thanks for any and all comments! It's kind of a large investment but can't seem to find many positive reviews on a good cover.

I have what is called a fine mesh cover that blocks the sun. It cost me ~ $75 for my 21' agp and this will be my 4th winter and the cover is still fine. It looks very similar to your first link (might be the same). I sure wouldn't spend the extra 100 for the cover in your second link.

I just purchased the Hurricane cover to use when closing the pool this year. What I can tell you is that the cover is extremely heavy duty, much thicker than the "normal" pool covers I have bought in the past and what is typically sold in pool stores. It will take 2 or more of us to put it on this year as we will be filling the tubes up with the recommended pea gravel.

I wish I could tell you that it will hold up after many years of use, unfortunately this cover is my last resort as I lose covers every year due to wind so time will tell.

Also, I did not purchase the optional drain kit from them, you can build your own for less than half the price from drain kits and garden hose available at big box hardware stores. Still undecided if I will build the drain and install it (not to keen on cutting a hole in a perfectly good, new liner) or use the light weight automatic electric pump I have.

-Marvin

I made the decision yeterday & purchased the Hurricane pool cover without the drain, although I am still trying to decide about the drain & also not too crazy about cutting a hole in a new cover. In the past I bought more of the tarp kind and we always staked it to the ground through the gromets & rarely used the cable that came with it. By the coldest part of winter something was always flapping or the cover was falling into the pool anyway. I bought this Hurricane cover because I like the pocket /sand bag idea for holding the cover down. Pricey for me but if it last a min of 3 years, I'll be happy.
Joanie

Update, Hurricane Pool Cover was very simple to install. Solicit wife to hold bags while I dumped pea gravel all over her (intentionally)... Ok, no really, she held the bags while we used pea gravel instead of sand (was recommended on the website). Father-in-law came down to help with pool cover, wife had hard time with her big full bags (haha, full pea gravel bags). Went on in about 30 minutes or so.

I didn't install a drain kit, instead I hooked up an automatic pool cover drain pump. Just didn't feel right cutting a hole in a brand new cover.

Let me tell ya, it doesn't move at all with the wind. I think I have a winner here. Just hope it lasts!

I went with the rugged mesh cover and have it installed partially as water temp still too high to close. For those of your in the midwest how low do you lower water to try and keep it from raising up into the return hole or skimmer? Do you all have to pump water out of pool at some point over the winter? I have a feeling the width of my cover will dictate how low I go with the water as the cover should sit on top of water...if I lower too far the cover will stretch and pull on toprails. Do any of you use return plug and skimmer cover with success?

I also use a mesh cover, but I don't plug the the skimmer or the return line. I lower the water so it's level with the return line, Put three Intex River Run II rafts in the pool to keep the cover elevated off the water and fairly level with the top rail, and I keep a discharge hose connected to the return line. As the rain/snowmelt pass through the mesh cover, the excess water exits thru the discharge hose connected to the return line. Been doing it this way for nine years without any issues or freeze damage to the pool, skimmer box, or return eyelet and I live in the frigid Northeast. Never have to pump water off the cover. Just hit the cover with a leave blower in Oct and Nov to keep the leaves off. Dump a couple gallons of shock on the cover late November and late March. Pull the cover in the June and the water is always clear. Follow the SLAM process in Pool School, vacuum, and enjoy.

Attachments

• Pool 3.jpg
    Pool 3.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 396
mfwade said:
Update, Hurricane Pool Cover was very simple to install. Solicit wife to hold bags while I dumped pea gravel all over her (intentionally)... Ok, no really, she held the bags while we used pea gravel instead of sand (was recommended on the website). Father-in-law came down to help with pool cover, wife had hard time with her big full bags (haha, full pea gravel bags). Went on in about 30 minutes or so.

I didn't install a drain kit, instead I hooked up an automatic pool cover drain pump. Just didn't feel right cutting a hole in a brand new cover.

Let me tell ya, it doesn't move at all with the wind. I think I have a winner here. Just hope it lasts!

I just installed one of their left over covers from 2012, still has pockets for sand bags and fits like a glove.
The instructions that came with mine were well for the wrong cover to say the least
We had to pull it around the pool and reinstall, But I have a partial deck, and being able to cut the sides to fit worked great
I also liked the idea of cutting around the skimmer
I ddint do the drain but wish i did now
We will see how it holds up in the wind

I didn't know you had to order these things so early. I ordered the Hurricane cover Oct 6. It was supposed to be 7-10 bus days for delivery. I waited 12 b days & called to find out they are out of stock for the rest of the year. So now I'm waiting on a Heavy Duty tarp that is 1/3 of the price but still hope it last at least 2 years. Does anyone know the difference between a tarp & an above the ground pool cover? They look/feel the same to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.