Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Temperatures

1. Back To Top    #1

Temperatures

So it has been colder here the last couple days. Over night low 40's and right now it is 68. Just checked the pool and it is 80 degrees. (The lowest reading ever since installing the pool in July) In the next few days it will get up to around 74 and sunny. With a solar cover on, is there any chance the water will heat up higher than it's current 80? I didn't know if the solar covers add much heat or really just hold the heat. When I lifted up the edge to put bleach in it, it seemed the air felt warm. Just trying to decide if there is a chance to swim again with warmer water, or if I need to try the chilly 80 one last time. Thought or experiences????
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Temperatures

It might go up a couple of degrees. Don't hold out for the high 80's -90's cause it won't happen unless you get some hot weather. The sun angle is down too.

Solar covers are better at retaining heat although they will increase temp some.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

I got about 3 degrees to spare here in Texas if that will help ya' any! 84 is a good "hope for" target I think.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I just wasn't sure if the outside temperature would have to be in the 80's to get the water to go up a little. Hopefully I can find at least one more day in the next week that I can get in before I say goodbye for the winter.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,

5. Back To Top    #5

For the most part, solar covers just hold the heat in, mostly by preventing heat loss due to evaporation.

We still swim down to about 72 in the fall (kids will go in briefly at lower).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    We still swim down to about 72 in the fall (kids will go in briefly at lower).
    Not sure I can handle 72. I get in very slowly even at 80.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by brmommy
    I get in very slowly even at 80.
    There is your problem...you can't go in slowly at those temps, you have to do it fast like taking off a stuck bandage
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep, just jump right in !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

It dropped to 79 today. Being afraid it might be my last chance, I got in. It wasn't too bad once I got used to it. Still hoping for some sun this week to warm it up for maybe another swim or two. First year with a pool and I'm not ready to close it yet!!!!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Our recommendation is to not close the pool until the pool temperature is consistently below 60F and open before the pool temp gets consistently above 60F. This minimizes opening cleanup.

Also, sometimes an "Indian summer" will surprise and get the water warm enough to swim later in the season.

11. Back To Top    #11

I got in today to do the last vacuuming and brushed the walls. Water temp was 78. Wasn't bad.

Cover went on cause the leaves are starting to fall and I don't want to have to deal with them. It was a good swim season !
    Jeff