Aug 19, 2013
Mansfield, Texas
Just started slamming my pool. Pre numbers were;
FC .5
CC 0
PH 8.2
CYA 40

Got PH down to 7.5

Punched numbers into calculator shooting for 15 to 16 FC shock level. Then I added 8.25% bleach, actually a little less than the calculator called for. Waited 45 minutes and tested FC to get 24.5 to 25 ppm FC and .5 CC.

Oops, I guess I over shot a little. Anything I should be concerned about or just keep testing the water until it drops to normal range and I can pass the over night test?

Yup, test it hourly if you can and return that chlorine up to your slam level each time until you decide to do the OCLT (OverNight Chlorine Loss Test).
Good luck! May it go quickly.

As to the overshoot- did you enter the correct % of bleach in to the pool calculator?

20130830_164146_zps7b180b5a.jpg

Not sure where to start measuring.

FC is still at 20 almost 6 hours later. I removed the trichlor and turned it off. Not sure the on/off valve is plumbed correctly. Will check a fain in the morning. It might take a couple of days to get the level down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I didn't measure the size of the pool this weekend but I did listen to the two of you (linen and Wildcat) as far as the pool is probably smaller. I changed my size to 15000 gallons in the pool calculator and added bleach two more times according to the calculator and was spot on both times so 13000 to 15000 is probably a really good estimate.

Thanks for the help guys.

RE: Size of pool.

Often times you can call your County Tax Assessor's Office and ask them to look up the size of your pool from their records.
One of the criteria Counties use to assess the taxable value of our pools is by volume of gallons.
Call you Assessor up and ask them what they have on record for your pool.
Assessor should have the answer provided from when the Builder submitted plans for the building permit
In my County, I can get this information for any existing pool by going to our Assessor's web site online and entering an APN.
APN = Assessor's Parcel Number. Tax Records, Real Estate documents and Platt Maps all contain a Property's APN#.

cadman89113 said:
RE: Size of pool.

Often times you can call your County Tax Assessor's Office and ask them to look up the size of your pool from their records.
One of the criteria Counties use to assess the taxable value of our pools is by volume of gallons.
Call you Assessor up and ask them what they have on record for your pool.
Assessor should have the answer provided from when the Builder submitted plans for the building permit
In my County, I can get this information for any existing pool by going to our Assessor's web site online and entering an APN.
APN = Assessor's Parcel Number. Tax Records, Real Estate documents and Platt Maps all contain a Property's APN#.

I find this is not true in my county ... they all list the same couple round numbers for the surface area and nothing for volume.

Checked the pool again last night. I left it running 24 hours a day once Saturday morning. Started Saturday with 25 ppm FC and .5 to 1 ppm CC after lowering PH. Passed the OCLT on Monday morning.

Last night I had lost about 4 ppm FC over a 24 hour period wit no Trichlor in the dispenser. dropped from 14 ppm to 10 ppm. I thought this was good since it was in the mid 90s yesterday.

However, when I got home last night there was yellow stuff all over the bottom of the pool. I can run the pool brush across it and it comes up like a yellow cloud in the water. I just push it all to the drain so it gets sucked into the filter. Very little was on the sides of the pool, like two patches covering a couple square inch area. So now I'm wondering if what I am dealing with is pollen, not mustard algae. What do you guys think?

Last night;
FC 10
CC .5 or less
PH 7.5
CYA (ran out of solution but it has always been around 40)
TA 120
CH is always around 600

If it's all over the pool and yellow in color (not green) and not mostly in shady areas then it's more likely to be pollen. You can use a skimmer sock to see if you collect any -- pollen stays on the surface until it gets waterlogged so with a skimmer sock you can collect some. With yellow/mustard algae, it's usually in the shady areas away from the surface of the pool so won't usually get caught as much in a skimmer sock. Also, if you do collect some, algae would be slimy while pollen would be squishy. If you have a microscope you can look at it and be even more definitive as algae is translucent (i.e. you can see its insides) and often oblong while pollen is solid and often spiky.

Usually oak pollen is seen in the spring, but perhaps your oak trees didn't get the memo.

Yes the spring/pollen thing is what is throwing me. But my understanding of the pool readings tells me I don't have algae. Especially enough algae to cover most of the bottom of my pool in 24 hours with a FC of 10 to 14 ppm right after I slammed the pool. Maybe I'm missing something.

I tested my CYA just before slamming. I didn't have enough reagent to test afterward. I am aware I need to purchase more reagent but the pool store was closed last night when I discovered I didn't have enough. I incorrectly typed 70 on my last set of readings should have been 40.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.