1. Back To Top    #1

Lots of Extra FC.

Just started slamming my pool. Pre numbers were;
    FC .5
    CC 0
    PH 8.2
    CYA 40

Got PH down to 7.5

Punched numbers into calculator shooting for 15 to 16 FC shock level. Then I added 8.25% bleach, actually a little less than the calculator called for. Waited 45 minutes and tested FC to get 24.5 to 25 ppm FC and .5 CC.

Oops, I guess I over shot a little. Anything I should be concerned about or just keep testing the water until it drops to normal range and I can pass the over night test?
    15,000 gallon plaster pool with spa and water fall, 250 Pentair MiniMax Plus Heater
    Nautilus FNS FIberglass D.E. Filter 48 Sq ft, Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + TFTestkits Chlorine & CCs Kit.
    Oak trees overhanging most of pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lots of Extra FC.

Not too much of big deal ... how certain of the pool volume are you? Maybe it is smaller than you think and the bleach happened to be a little extra strong.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup, test it hourly if you can and return that chlorine up to your slam level each time until you decide to do the OCLT (OverNight Chlorine Loss Test).
    Good luck! May it go quickly.

As to the overshoot- did you enter the correct % of bleach in to the pool calculator?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I used 8.25% for the bleach.
    15,000 gallon plaster pool with spa and water fall, 250 Pentair MiniMax Plus Heater
    Nautilus FNS FIberglass D.E. Filter 48 Sq ft, Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + TFTestkits Chlorine & CCs Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm with Jason on this one. Are you pretty confident on your volume?

Based on the numbers you gave, you should have put in 437 oz. of 8.25% to get to 15 FC. What brand and size jug are you using?
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

Great Value 121oz 8.25% sodium hypochlorite.

The previous owner told me it was 20000 gallons. That's about all I have to go on.

7. Back To Top    #7

So post up some pictures and dimensions and we can try to calculate and see if they were close.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Not sure where to start measuring.

FC is still at 20 almost 6 hours later. I removed the trichlor and turned it off. Not sure the on/off valve is plumbed correctly. Will check a fain in the morning. It might take a couple of days to get the level down.

9. Back To Top    #9

What are the basic dimensions? Looks a lot like my pool which is also irregular and I calculate it at 10-12,000 gallons.

Mine is 3.5 to 5.5 feet deep and like 12X 28
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree with Wildcat, that does not look like it is near 20000 gallons. Your higher tha expected FC change would suggest your pool is closer to 13000 gallons.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have the paperwork from when the pool was originally built. I may call the builder and ask them if they keep those type of records. I will also take some measurements tomorrow.

12. Back To Top    #12

Well I didn't measure the size of the pool this weekend but I did listen to the two of you (linen and Wildcat) as far as the pool is probably smaller. I changed my size to 15000 gallons in the pool calculator and added bleach two more times according to the calculator and was spot on both times so 13000 to 15000 is probably a really good estimate.

Thanks for the help guys.

13. Back To Top    #13

RE: Size of pool.

Often times you can call your County Tax Assessor's Office and ask them to look up the size of your pool from their records.
    One of the criteria Counties use to assess the taxable value of our pools is by volume of gallons.
    Call you Assessor up and ask them what they have on record for your pool.
    Assessor should have the answer provided from when the Builder submitted plans for the building permit
    In my County, I can get this information for any existing pool by going to our Assessor's web site online and entering an APN.
    APN = Assessor's Parcel Number. Tax Records, Real Estate documents and Platt Maps all contain a Property's APN#.
    SW Las Vegas, Nevada 10,294 Gal pool, 660 Gal attached spa - 10,949 Gal total. Plaster. 550 Series Hayward Cartridge filter w/ 550SqFt surface area. Flow rate 150GPH, 2.5 Hp single speed pump. Built 2005 with attached spa that sits higher than pool but is on same filtration system.
    I use TFTestkits , Pool Calculator , Pool School - Easy Peasy to do - and am VERY happy with my pool!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by cadman89113
    RE: Size of pool.

Often times you can call your County Tax Assessor's Office and ask them to look up the size of your pool from their records.
    One of the criteria Counties use to assess the taxable value of our pools is by volume of gallons.
    Call you Assessor up and ask them what they have on record for your pool.
    Assessor should have the answer provided from when the Builder submitted plans for the building permit
    In my County, I can get this information for any existing pool by going to our Assessor's web site online and entering an APN.
    APN = Assessor's Parcel Number. Tax Records, Real Estate documents and Platt Maps all contain a Property's APN#.
    I find this is not true in my county ... they all list the same couple round numbers for the surface area and nothing for volume.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Checked the pool again last night. I left it running 24 hours a day once Saturday morning. Started Saturday with 25 ppm FC and .5 to 1 ppm CC after lowering PH. Passed the OCLT on Monday morning.

Last night I had lost about 4 ppm FC over a 24 hour period wit no Trichlor in the dispenser. dropped from 14 ppm to 10 ppm. I thought this was good since it was in the mid 90s yesterday.

However, when I got home last night there was yellow stuff all over the bottom of the pool. I can run the pool brush across it and it comes up like a yellow cloud in the water. I just push it all to the drain so it gets sucked into the filter. Very little was on the sides of the pool, like two patches covering a couple square inch area. So now I'm wondering if what I am dealing with is pollen, not mustard algae. What do you guys think?

Last night;
    FC 10
    CC .5 or less
    PH 7.5
    CYA (ran out of solution but it has always been around 40)
    TA 120
    CH is always around 600

16. Back To Top    #16

If it's all over the pool and yellow in color (not green) and not mostly in shady areas then it's more likely to be pollen. You can use a skimmer sock to see if you collect any -- pollen stays on the surface until it gets waterlogged so with a skimmer sock you can collect some. With yellow/mustard algae, it's usually in the shady areas away from the surface of the pool so won't usually get caught as much in a skimmer sock. Also, if you do collect some, algae would be slimy while pollen would be squishy. If you have a microscope you can look at it and be even more definitive as algae is translucent (i.e. you can see its insides) and often oblong while pollen is solid and often spiky.

Usually oak pollen is seen in the spring, but perhaps your oak trees didn't get the memo.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

17. Back To Top    #17

Yes the spring/pollen thing is what is throwing me. But my understanding of the pool readings tells me I don't have algae. Especially enough algae to cover most of the bottom of my pool in 24 hours with a FC of 10 to 14 ppm right after I slammed the pool. Maybe I'm missing something.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by rotenka
    CYA 40
    CYA (ran out of solution but it has always been around 70)
    wit no Trichlor in the dispenser
    Do you really know what your cya level is?

Get some more reagent and find out, since that is required to know what your FC levels should be.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

19. Back To Top    #19

I tested my CYA just before slamming. I didn't have enough reagent to test afterward. I am aware I need to purchase more reagent but the pool store was closed last night when I discovered I didn't have enough. I incorrectly typed 70 on my last set of readings should have been 40.

20. Back To Top    #20

Did you use any trichlor since your last cya reading?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast