Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH doesn't go down?

1. Back To Top    #1

PH doesn't go down?

I'm having the exact same issue! Gunite pool with luna quartz plaster and I'm constantly battling pH. My TA is at 90 too and I bring my pH down to 7.2 and within 3 or 4 days, my pH is at 8.2. Will raising my TA too 100 or 110 stabilize rising pH?
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH doesn't go down?

No. It will make the pH rise faster. How old is the plaster? Do you have SWG or water features?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I do have 3 sheer descents and a spillover on the spa tat is about 6' across and an 18" drop from the spa to the pool level. It runs for about 6 hours a day. As I'm typing I'm kind of having a eureka moment. That's probably why ,y pH is rising right? Should I lower my TA at all, or just deal with acid twice a week? I loathe pouring in acid...I totally dread it because I have to hold my breath and try not to burn myself. I would love for my pH to stop dropping!

Complete test today was:
    FC 3.0
    CC 0
    TC 7.0
    pH 8.2+
    CH 430
    CYA 50
    TA 90

I poured in 4 cups of acid and I'm about to pour in a gallon of bleach. 17,000 gallon pool
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dreampool13
    Complete test today was:
    FC 3.0
    CC 0
    TC 7.0
    This would mean your CC was 4, if it was 0 the TC would be 3.0.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the pH is rising due to all the aeration, lowering the TA may help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Also, don't lower the pH to 7.2 since the rate of pH rise is faster the lower the pH. Just lower the pH to 7.5 only. Turn down the time you run these aeration sources. If you lower your TA significantly, if it helps, then you can consider using 50 ppm Borates for additional pH buffering.

Also, the test sounds like it is not from a TFTestkits TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. If you don't have one of those, get one. You are flying blind if you are using pool store numbers since they are often wrong.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

That's interesting about the pH rising faster when it's lower! I never knew that and that will cut down on the acid I'm using by almost half! I'm going to try getting my TA to 80 to see if that makes a difference. I'd love to try borates but I have a dog that drinks the water so yeah...not a risk I'm willing to take. Thanks!