RonW84

Sep 14, 2013
FC: 10
CC: 0
TA: 110
CH: 60
CYA: between the 30 & 40 line
PH: 7.5

I have had my intex pool set up for about 3 weeks now. Like many others I didn't find this site until after I had bought all the Aquachem stuff at walmart. Once I found this site I immediately ordered the TF-100 and have done 3 test so far, all with the same results except FC has fluctuated.

I have been using the chlorine tabs since I got the pool but I am switching to bleach today. I realize my FC is a little high but I went out of town for a couple days so I added an extra tab just incase it rained or anything while I was gone. I have the cover off and the sun should be eating some of it up by now.

So far I havent had any problems with the water at all, it has been crystal clear since I filled it up. I do have a couple questions though.

1) With the FC, which CYA level should I be going off of 30 or 40?

2) Has anyone had any luck with the stock pump/filter that came with the pool? I know it is not the best but with not having any problems with my water would it really be necessary to change it out for a better one?

3) I have had to add water a couple times to get the water back up. Maybe and inch at a time. Is that enough water to affect my CYA? I guess I am asking would it be easier to continue using pucks hoping that it will stay at the 30-40 mark or go ahead and use bleach and then add stabilizer when it drops low enough? What would be the number at which I would add CYA again?

Oh and I live near Savannah, GA. I will put that in my sig time now.
Thanks in advance!
Ron

Welcome to TFP !!

1. I'd probably go with 40 just to be on the safe side. Maintain you FC levels between 3-7 and don't let it fall below 3.
2. I can't answer about the intek pumps as I have no experience with them.
3. Don't use the pucks. They will raise your CYA as they contain stabilizer. You don't want your CYA level to get too high. Just use bleach and add stabilizer as needed. Keep your CYA level at 30-50 ppm.

I'd also go with a CYA of 40 when calculating the target FC based on your reading.

CYA does not evaporate. If you are replacing water because of evaporation, your CYA is staying the same. The only thing that will lower CYA with any significance is taking water out of the pool - splashing, overflowing, or draining for some reason.

Welcome to tfp, RonW84 :wave:

RonW84 said:
2) Has anyone had any luck with the stock pump/filter that came with the pool? I know it is not the best but with not having any problems with my water would it really be necessary to change it out for a better one?
Imo, the intex cartridge filters are useless, however the intex sand filters are a pretty good value. That not to say you can't maintain a pool with the intex cartridge system, but it will take more work.

RonW84 said:
3) I have had to add water a couple times to get the water back up. Maybe and inch at a time. Is that enough water to affect my CYA? I guess I am asking would it be easier to continue using pucks hoping that it will stay at the 30-40 mark or go ahead and use bleach and then add stabilizer when it drops low enough? What would be the number at which I would add CYA again?
1 inch out of 42 inches (you typically fill the pool up to about 6 inches below the top) is 2.4%, but as pwrstk mentioned, if this is due to evaporation, your cya level is not changing. If this is primarily due to a leak or splashout, then your cya will go down slowly (2.4% for every inch of water that is splashed, leaked, or drained)...but it is slow. Each puck (assuming 3 inch...i.e.~8oz) will add 7.2 ppm cya to your pool, so they really are not feasible.

Thanks for the replies.

Yea most of my water loss is due to evaporation, I didn't think about CYA not evaporating. Duh!

I switched to bleach last night. At 2000 I was at 4.5ppm FC. I used the pool calc and it said to use 24oz to raise to 8. I am going to have to change my pool volume because that 24oz brought me up to 10.5. Oh well, it's a learning process.

I did the OCLT last night just because it was the first chance I have had to do it since I got my TF-100. From 2000-0800 I went from 10.5 - 9.5 so I am assuming everything is good in the water.

With the season being so close to ending I will see how the stock filter holds up and make a decision next spring if I will buy a new filter or not.

I can't say how much I appreciate all the info on this site. My wife thinks I am becoming OCD but I am just having fun learning and not to mention its is extremely rewarding to see crystal clear water everyday.

Good job !

When you dose your pool with bleach shoot for an FC level of 6-7 ppm,that'll give you some room for burn off and you won't fall below your min level of 3 ppm. Cooler water temp will also help with FC loss.

You'll see it is quite easy to keep your water crystal clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.