Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unexpected low CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Unexpected low CYA

Hi all -

I've been using BBB since we moved into our new house about 3 months ago. When we moved in, I ordered the TF100 kit and started manually dosing the pool with 8.25% bleach. When we moved in, CYA was in the 120 range and I did a couple of partial drain/refills to pull it down to 50-60. Since then, we've been on autopilot with daily additions of bleach and muriatic as needed, nothing else has been added to the pool except we've been doing a little pumice stone scrubbing to remove some scaling that was there when we moved in - no chemicals just elbow grease.

This morning I took a full set of readings as follows:

FC - 7
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.5
    TA - 80
    CH - 180
    CYA - filled to the top and could still see the dot

I repeated the CYA test and had the same result. Any ideas on how my CYA could be zero?

We've had normal use this summer, and there is a drain at the top of the pool's normal water level (maybe some drain out as we top off the pool daily). But I wouldn't have thought the CYA could have gone down 50-60 points?

I was thinking about taking a sample to Leslie's in case I'm getting a bad reading (my test kit is about 4 months old now)....

Thanks for any input or ideas you have...
    14K IG Gunite Pool, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Jandy 2.0HP Pump, Pentair Booster Pump, Ultrapure UV Ozone Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Unexpected low CYA

Sounds like a leak. Do a bucket test to be sure.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! We're losing about 1" per day but I just thought it was the heat of the summer doing it. Will check it out with the bucket test.
    14K IG Gunite Pool, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Jandy 2.0HP Pump, Pentair Booster Pump, Ultrapure UV Ozone Generator

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you are truly losing 1" in a 24 hour period, no real need to do the bucket test....you have a leak. Total desert climate might be the exception.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info Dave - that must be it.. Thanks again!