Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Life after SLAMing - what next?

1. Back To Top    #1

Life after SLAMing - what next?

Hi All,

I finished SLAMing on Tuesday and now into maintenance mode. Pool water looks crystal clear but now I need to make sure I'm doing all the right things to avoid the pool creatures coming back.

Results from testing today:

FC 4.5
    CC 0.5
    TA 60
    CH 190
    CYA 50
    PH 7.5

Question:
    1. I believe I need to keep FC up to maintenance levels
    2. are the other results accurate soon after SLAMing?
    3. If its ok to test TA, CH etc, then I need to add Baking Soda and calcium chloride.

Thanks in advance.
    17500 Gallons, IG, Plaster, DE Filter, Built 1997, No Spa, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Life after SLAMing - what next?

Quote Originally Posted by onedah
    Hi All,

I finished SLAMing on Tuesday and now into maintenance mode. Pool water looks crystal clear but now I need to make sure I'm doing all the right things to avoid the pool creatures coming back.

Results from testing today:

FC 4.5
    CC 0.5
    TA 60
    CH 190
    CYA 50
    PH 7.5

Question:
    1. I believe I need to keep FC up to maintenance levels
    Yes, keep FC between 4 and 8 and never below 4.
    2. are the other results accurate soon after SLAMing?
    Yes
    3. If its ok to test TA, CH etc, then I need to add Baking Soda and calcium chloride.
    I suggest you go ahead and raise the TA to about 70 today.
    Tomorrow, you can increase the CH. It is recommended to raise the CH on a day that you are not adjusting anything else.

Thanks in advance.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Swimming
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Linen Absolutley spot on.

Butterfly - thanks for the infor - I am adding Baking Soda today and will deal with CH tomorrow.

Questions:
    1. I have noticed that I loose a lot of FC to the sun everyday - pool is in the sun most of the day - is it normal then to be adding quite a lot of FC to keep up (can get expensive)?
    2. We are away next week for 7 days and wondering what suggestions you have for maintainance while away, especially as the texas sun can eat FC up quickly?

Thanks
    O

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Questions:
    1. I have noticed that I loose a lot of FC to the sun everyday - pool is in the sun most of the day - is it normal then to be adding quite a lot of FC to keep up (can get expensive)?
    2. We are away next week for 7 days and wondering what suggestions you have for maintainance while away, especially as the texas sun can eat FC up quickly?

Thanks
    O
    What do you mean by a "lot" of FC loss?

You may be able to use a puck floater. What is your CYA level? A week is a long time to expect a pool to remain pristine without attention.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Questions:

Thanks
    O
    What do you mean by a "lot" of FC loss? I'm adding about 50oz of bleach a day to keep fc levels, I loose about 3 - 4 ppm a day

You may be able to use a puck floater. What is your CYA level? CYA = 50, do I avoid using the Chlorinator?
    A week is a long time to expect a pool to remain pristine without attention.

7. Back To Top    #7

The chlorinator has the exact same downside as a puck floater: the pucks add CYA. I see from your other thread that you're already acquainted with the drain and refill process for lowering CYA if it gets too high.

You can see how much chlorine and CYA the pucks will add by using the "Effects of adding chemicals" section at the bottom of the poolcalculator.com page. From there, you can decide if using the chlorinator is the route you want to go while you are away.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

8. Back To Top    #8

1. A "typical pool" at 50 ppm cya might lose about 40% FC to the sun each day.
    2. Best way is to have someone come and dose for you daily or every other day. If you do not have that option, then if you have a cover, you could bring the pool up to your SLAM level, circulate it, then cover it, and cross your fingers until you are back. If you use a puck chlorinator, you may have to do a drain/refill again at some point.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the suggestions.

I dont have a cover or the option of someone coming by every other day. I will have to take my chances with Pucks.

Has no one created Chlorine tablets which dont have other chemicals in them, or a chlorine release system without all the other affects.

10. Back To Top    #10

Has no one created Chlorine tablets which dont have other chemicals in them, or a chlorine release system without all the other affects.
    Nope, the other chemicals are required to make the dry form of chlorine.

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm not sure how broad of an answer you're looking for when you say "chlorine release system". There is the option of installing a salt water generator (SWG) system (automatic-chlorinators-swg-liquidator-etc-f21.html), or a chlorine injection system (chemical-automation-and-the-liquidator-f81.html) if you're looking beyond this particular travel need. Each has its own pros/cons to consider, but they don't add CYA or CH the way the solid forms of chlorine do.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

12. Back To Top    #12

For now I will go with the pucks and hopefully all will be good when we get back.