Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool & high PH?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool & high PH?

So I have a 22,000 pool and my experience with the pool contractor has been pretty bad. Of course, I have been trained on nothing.

I have an Easy Touch System, Intellichem Chemical Controller, PH Controller with 4 gallon tank, ozonator, intellichlor salt water generator.

My readings are:

PH 7.9 (this climbs from 7.0 to this level each week), I thought the PH controller would take care of this?
    ORP Level 515 (this consistently drops throughout the week)?
    Water Balance +.45 Normal
    Salt Level 2950
    Calcium Hardness 250
    Alkalinity 90
    Cyanuric Acid 0
    (All readings from Screenlogic)

My pool installer has been checking chemicals weekly, but this is about to end, hopefully he will train me, but with the relationship I will probably be seeing him in court.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool & high PH?

What are you using for your testing? You need one of the recommended test kits.

You CYA is way too low. For a SWG it should be up around 70-80ppm.

Not sure how the pH control works, but I thought you just set a target.

Btw, the ozone is worthless in an outdoor residential pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

How new is the pool? In the first three or four weeks you should not be using the SWG (don't add salt for the first four weeks). The PH, TA, and CH levels will also tend to go up rapidly during this period, especially PH. The PH rise is normally faster than the PH controller can deal with during this period. After the first few weeks the PH increase will slow down significantly, continuing at a slower rate for up to a year.

I do not recommend using ORP based controllers at all for residential pools. They have frequent problems, require additional maintenance, and even when working don't perform any better than a SWG alone can do when properly setup.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Pool Company just left, the stenner pump was never wired correctly, so it has never run.

ozone is worthless, not even worth a penny????

5. Back To Top    #5

It does not reduce the required FC level and in fact will consume some of the chlorine ... so it will cost you in power to run it and in having to add more chlorine than you would have to without it for no real benefit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Natural Pool Water Sanitation
    Kills up to 99.99% bacteria, viruses, molds
    Virtually eliminates harmful chloramines
    Won't irritate eyes, dry out skin or fade swimwear
    Eliminates oils, lotions and other contaminants
    Generates 4-5 times higher ozone concentration than UV lamps (1500 PPM compared to 300 PPM)
    Uses 70-90% less electricity than UV lamps
    Employs ozone sizing standards developed from commercial pool guidelines and drinking water standards
    Offers ozone electrodes that outlast UV lamps by two to three years
    Is priced within 10% of UV lamp pricing

So this is all BS?

7. Back To Top    #7

Not exactly, but you still need to have chlorine (or other sanitizer) in the bulk of the water to protect against person-to-person transmission. Clorine alone does all that you mentioned anyway. And the Sun provides plenty of UV to break down the chloramines.

They are only really useful for very high bather loads (public pools), hot tubs, or indoor pools that do not get the benefit of the sun.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

I had 15 kids in the pool Saturday for about 3 hrs, didn't notice any of them taking a pee break, this might help