crack in step of pool

th59fi

Jun 18, 2013
I recently noticed a crack on the top step of our Gunite pool(about 4" long).It has 3M Color- Quartz finish.Blue Haven said its a surface crack and is not responsible.I am not sure if its causing a water leak and dont want it to get worse-any suggestions?Thanks..

How old is the quartz job?
It this Quartz finish a re-plaster over an original plaster job?
It seems to me that if the pool is within warranty, the PB may be responsible for most types of cracks in the plaster.

Tap the crack area with the (hard plastic) handle of a screwdriver and listen for a hollow sound as compared to areas away from the crack. Could be a delamination (bond failure) problem.

If this is a new pool, then a crack in the plaster may by leaking because the gunite could also be cracked due to ground pressure and movement. Pursue both possible problems with your contractor.

Thanks for the response-The pool is about 8 yrs old-the quartz was done when the pool was built(3M Color Quartz)The pool builder says its a surface crack and isnt responsible-That was my real concern-could the gunite be cracked-I guess when I lower the water level before closing I will try to detect if there is a hollow sound..Thanks again..

In thinking about your situation, I think a crack in the top step wouldn't indicate a problem crack in the gunite, especially after 8 years. A movement crack in the gunite would show somewhere else, not in the step area. You can try to listen to the tapping sound with the water still in the pool.

But I really don't think you have a serious problem. Try using a dye like food coloring and check for a leak. If a delamination issue, and if other areas don't show cracks soon, then it would be an isolation issue. You could simply trying placing some epoxy cement into the crack and let it be for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.