Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: crack in step of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

crack in step of pool

I recently noticed a crack on the top step of our Gunite pool(about 4" long).It has 3M Color- Quartz finish.Blue Haven said its a surface crack and is not responsible.I am not sure if its causing a water leak and dont want it to get worse-any suggestions?Thanks..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: crack in step of pool

In a gunnite pool, I would think a small crack in the plaster as you described will not cause much of a leak.

Have you noticed your water level going down faster than it should?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

How old is the quartz job?
    It this Quartz finish a re-plaster over an original plaster job?
    It seems to me that if the pool is within warranty, the PB may be responsible for most types of cracks in the plaster.

Tap the crack area with the (hard plastic) handle of a screwdriver and listen for a hollow sound as compared to areas away from the crack. Could be a delamination (bond failure) problem.

If this is a new pool, then a crack in the plaster may by leaking because the gunite could also be cracked due to ground pressure and movement. Pursue both possible problems with your contractor.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the response-The pool is about 8 yrs old-the quartz was done when the pool was built(3M Color Quartz)The pool builder says its a surface crack and isnt responsible-That was my real concern-could the gunite be cracked-I guess when I lower the water level before closing I will try to detect if there is a hollow sound..Thanks again..

5. Back To Top    #5

In thinking about your situation, I think a crack in the top step wouldn't indicate a problem crack in the gunite, especially after 8 years. A movement crack in the gunite would show somewhere else, not in the step area. You can try to listen to the tapping sound with the water still in the pool.

But I really don't think you have a serious problem. Try using a dye like food coloring and check for a leak. If a delamination issue, and if other areas don't show cracks soon, then it would be an isolation issue. You could simply trying placing some epoxy cement into the crack and let it be for now.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok-thanks again..