Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Walmart's stabilizer

1. Back To Top    #1

Walmart's stabilizer

Can anyone tell me for sure if Wal-Mart' s stabilizer is calcium chloride OR calcium chloride dehydrate. I want to use the pool calculator to figure out how much I need to put in the sock that will go in the skimmer. All the bottle label says is Cyanuric Acid 100 per cent. Thanks, John
    16100 gallon rectangle pool built in 1984 including a 5' X 5'x 3' Spa, Diamond Brite in year 2000, Non-SWG Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Walmart's stabilizer

It's CYA. Just use stabilizer in the pool calc. Not the liquid stabilizer. It's neither of what you mentioned. The calcium will raise your Ch.

Just hang the sock in front of a return if your CYA level is low.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Walmart's stabilizer

It is dry Cyanuric acid. It is not a Calcium product. Are you very low in CH I presume?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

Many thanks for both of the answers...I realize now I looked at the wrong heading in the pool calculator, which generated the question.....I have since put the dry stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer, squeezed it every couple of hours and it all has been diluted into the system....gonna run the pump for the 24 hour period to free up as much stabilizer as possible from the filter.....Thanks again, John
    16100 gallon rectangle pool built in 1984 including a 5' X 5'x 3' Spa, Diamond Brite in year 2000, Non-SWG Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Suggest waiting about a week before testing the CYA (stabilizer) level. Even after the granules are dissolved from the sock, it can take a week before the entire dose of CYA appears on the test.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Will do, I used the sock last Saturday and will check it again this Saturday. I'm going to "inch it up " to around 35 ppm and the use some old expensive tabs I had before discovering your website and converting to BBB to the move the CYA level up from the 35 to 40 ppm which is my target goal for my CYA level.......Then discontinue using the Tabs. .Many thanks, John