Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I left the fill line on ... AGAIN

1. Back To Top    #1

I left the fill line on ... AGAIN

not sure how many thousand gallons I dumped overnight. Does anyone have any experience with the Poolmiser Smartmiser? My fill line is setup in such a way that it would be an easy install. I'm planning to get a traditional autofill when I get the plaster redone in a year or 2.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I left the fill line on ... AGAIN

I opted out of the Autofill for my build simply because I want to know at earliest if there is a problem. Every builder has tried to convince me otherwise, but I'm outdoors all the time and think I can handle it. That said, I have left a sprinkler on at night when I shouldn't have, so I'm not beyond forgetting something.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I've done that twice. Only one time did it overflow. Now I set the timer on the stove when I turn on the water as a reminder to check it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Put one of these on your fill hose:

http://www.amazon.com/Melnor-101-Flowme ... B00176FFJC

Dial in how many gallons you want and then it will turn itself off afterwards.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

I like it Harry, that is a good idea.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Harry,
    Love the idea but my fill line is hard plumbed. ... I could just switch to the hose. Hmmmm.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

7. Back To Top    #7

I always set a timer on my phone, and keep it on me, since I overfilled twice to the coping. Hopefully I will never overfill again, it has worked for the last year.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

I did the phone thing... left the phone in the bedroom ... oops.

9. Back To Top    #9

I did that twice last year.

I recently made myself an "autofill" using a float valve for a side entry toilet cistern some adaptors and quick release hose fitting. Mine is mounted under the skimmer lid (probably not the best place to put it, but it looks neat). Much cheaper than buying them premade and it doesn't take any skill, just connect a pipe and set the float level.

I don't leave the hose on it all the time, I usually put the hose in front of the return to circulate it, but when I need to I can leave the hose on my autofill while I do other stuff and not worry about overfilling.

I'll post some pictures when I get home if anyones interested.
    Steven
    18.5k US gallon/69kl IG tiled with an Onga Pantera 25" sand filter, powered by a Davey Silensor 200 1HP/0.75kW pump coupled to a Zodiac TRi (mid) SWG K-2006C Test kit imported from the USA...
    in Adelaide, Australia...