I have never had a successful vacuum...what am I doing wrong

jennib

Sep 13, 2013
We have purchased a house we are remodeling and have had the pool up for a couple of months. I have attached a picture of the pump valves. I was instructed to vacuum with the 2 red valves on left closed, this is a inground pool. I have never had a successful vacuum. I seem to be in a cycle of getting water clear, then trying to vacuum, starts out OK in shallow end but by the time I am done I am cloudy. Then by next day you can see what appears to be what I just vacuumed back on bottom as if I have done nothing. Then I work on getting water completely clear again to get where I can vacuum and repeat. I don't want to ask the 'pool guys' that helped us to open pool, because we were poorly instructed to begin with. Hope you can help! Thanks!

Attachments

• pool pump.jpg
    pool pump.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 94
Re: I have never had a successful vacuum...what am I doing w

There are some good short pool school clips on YouTube that can help you learn how to properly vacuum your pool. I used them to learn when my pool builder did a less than stellar job of educating us to the pump, filter, maintenance tasks.

Don't fear, you'll get the hang of it :-D

Assuming your equipment is functioning (valve in "filter" position, etc.), debris back on the pool floor the next day is more often an issue of water chemistry than filtration.

In short, there's a very good chance you are seeing dead algae reappearing on your pool floor each day.

Can you post a complete set of test results?

What does your water look like now?

When vacuuming I leave it on 'filter' setting. My water looks great, I've just never been able to get the stuff off the bottom, as it seems I just stir it up. I have to confess, I am using color strips to test water. I just found this site a couple of days ago and see that is not recommended.

Welcome to TFP.

Do yourself a huge favor and get one of our recommended test kits. I use the TF-100. it's the best out there. Those test strips are worthless and the pool store is not much better. To take control of your pool you need to have a good kit. It's a small investment for a trouble free pool.

Spend sometime reading in pool school.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.