Does anyone use their hot tub as a cool tub in the summer?

May 24, 2012
NJ
I'm contemplating taking down our pool because I'm the only one that uses it these days. I'm toying with the idea of getting a hot tub which I would use a lot in the spring, fall, and winter. I was wondering if I would be able to keep the water unheated during the summer and use it to cool off. Is there anything that would prevent me from being able to do that?

Thanks!

Re: Does anyone use their hot tub as a cool tub in the summe

As long as you keep the water sanitized and circulated it shouldn't make any difference whether you heat the water or not. You may want to place it in a shady area to help keep the water cool in the summer.

I know on mine when the pumps run is when the water is heated. Just check before you get it to see the lowest temperature setting. I can take mine down to 75. The jets should still be relaxing!

We run ours cold sometimes...works great. Our pump and heater can be controlled independently, i.e. the heater can be turned off with the pump still on.

Mine even has a summer mode setting. We have often kept it unheated in the summer for our grand kids to play in although it still gets up in the mid 80s from the sun. I think our 3 year old grandson enjoyed the hot tub more than the pool that year. It was just enough space and water for him yet not scary deep.
When my daughter was heavily pregnant and miserable in August we purchased large bags of ice so she could enjoy floating in the cool water. :party:

The one I have my eye on, I'm not sure if the heater and pump run independently but the temp can be set for 80 degrees. So basically, when the thermostat is satisfied the pump will run without heating, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

We use ours cool all the time during the summer. The pump never turns off so water is always circulating. I turn the thermostat completely down and it gets to around 32C during the day or 27C at night. If it's too warm, I just siphon off about 1/3 of the water and then refill will cool water. VERY nice when the day temps are in the mid to upper 90's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.