DE pool filter problem

Sep 13, 2013
It seems like I have to backwash my pool 3-5 times a week. My pump stops pumping water. Once I backwash, the problem goes away, but most likely comes back the next day. When I backwash the water is clear. I add DE and the next day, and I have to backwash it again to get the water moving. I've broken down the filter multiple times. I know the filters are good because they are fairly new. What else could be my problem? I'm tired of washing away DE all the time, and I'm afraid my pump is going to burn up. Thanks!

Welcome to tfp, Danflys247 :wave:

It sounds like the filter is doing it's job and it is catching debris. Having to backwash that often is typically caused by algae in the pool...though a very small DE filter on a very large pool could cause also cause it.

What does your water look like?

What does your pressure gauge read when the filter is clean?
What does your pressure gauge read when the pump is off?

Please post a full set of test results. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/read_before_you_post

Linen hit the key points. Is this a new problem that just came up. If not then the filter is doing it's job but just way undersized. If it's something in the water then the filter is doing it's job and will get better once the problem is taken care of. Add your pool info to your signature so we know what your working with. Also along with a full set of numbers.

The DE filter has been installed on this system for 10+ years. The water is crystal clear. The pressure gaug usually reads 30psi when on. This problem has been an ongoing issue for the last 6 months.

Danflys247 said:
When I backwash the water is clear.
You should be getting at least some cloudiness when backwashing due to DE coming out. The clear might indicate that your flow rate while backwashing might be insufficient. This could be due to multiple things, such as clogged skimmer, clogged impeller, clogged suction lines or clogged pump basket.

The 30 psi indicates a problem, either with the gauge or the filter.

When you break down the filter, is there a lot of DE inside?

I have no clue what brand the filter is, the motor is purex triton, the gauge reads 0 when the pump is off, everytime I clean the filtersthey are always coated in DE. After I added DE the last time, it stopped pumping and I had to backwash right away.

Do these look like what you have?

WhisperFlo_web.jpg

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/p ... mp-193.htm

FNS_Plus_web.jpg

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/p ... ers-61.htm

What H.P is the motor?

What was the pressure before you added DE?

The grids might be scaled or otherwise clogged.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A 2 H.P Whisperflo is a very strong pump. Probably oversized for your pool. The grids might be scaled or otherwise clogged. Perhaps the salt cell is clogged. I would check the cell and clean it if necessary.

How much de are you adding into your filter?? I had a customer add 10 pounds de to a 36sq ft filter, way too much. When the directions on my pentair call for 3.6 for 36, 4.8 for a 48, and 6.0 for a 60. I know the manufacturer of the de that I sell has a chart on the back and it calls for way too much. Would be a good to figure out how many gpm your pump can move and compare that to your filter. My pentair FNS plus display says 60gpm for a 36, 90gpm for a 48, and 150gpm for a 60. What is the calcium hardness in your water and your TDS if you have the ability to determine that. I saw a customers 60sq ft grids shot in 6 months because of high calcium and improper water chemistry.

It might be calcium scaling. Also, the grids can be damaged if acid washed before degreasing.

Note: Some references say that it is OK to acid wash the grids. However, I avoid doing it because I think it damages the fabric, at least to some degree. If you find the grids to be scaled and want to use acid after degreasing, then go as dilute as possible. Start with a 10:1 ratio.

Posting a full set of results will help determine the likelihood of scaling.

How many sq ft is your filter? They say that 1 coffee can is around a pound. Hose the grids off completely and thoroughly then let them dry. If the are calcified over they will feel rough. Scrape it with your finger nails and see how it feels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.