Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone in the mid-Atlantic region have a heat pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Philadelphia, PA

Anyone in the mid-Atlantic region have a heat pump?

I'm looking for some folks with heat pumps in my general area (Philly, PA) and I'm trying to get a feel for how much their spending in electric. I know many probably don't pay attention to this, but wanted to ask.

We installed the pool this summer and said we wouldn't do a heat pump until we have one year under our belt. Well, this summer was so abnormal, we'll probably wait to see how the pool is NEXT summer without the HP. But we did wire for it, so it should be as simple as some plumbing and final electrical connections.

But I am curious about costs to run it. We have a small pool (About 8500 gallons) and we also have an auto cover which stays closed. So I'm hoping those help keep costs down.
    Leisure Pools Riv 30, 8500 gal, IG fiberglass, 200 sqft cart filter (Clean & Clear 200), Intelliflo 3HP variable speed pump, Aqua Rite SWG, auto cover, installed 5/2013
    Aquacal Superquiet 110, installed 6/2014
    TFT 100

2. Back To Top    #2

Northern Philly Burbs

Re: Anyone in the mid-Atlantic region have a heat pump?

I realize this won't answer your question, but we are 10 miles north of phila. We don't have a heat pump, but do have some solar panels and use a solar cover. The temp has not been below 85 degrees in the evening in our pool since before Memorial Day.
    25000 gal inground freeform plaster pool with spillover hot tub. 1.5 hp PacFab Challenger pump, Hayward DE filter, Natural Gas heater, BBB convert 2009, Aquasol solar panels on ground rack 2010, PS-4 controller 2010, Rocky roller, SWG 2011.

3. Back To Top    #3

Erie pa

I live in erie during june july aug keeping water at 87 i pay about 80 xtra a month including filtration pump.during may and sept it is about 150 xtra a month including extra runtime for the filter because in cold weather(just had a cold snap where nights were 38 and daytime highs were low 50s,6hr runtime for filter wasnt long enough to keep pool at 88) heat pump needs to run more.16x32 about 20000 gallons.i always keep a solar cover on it when not swimming.
    16x32 vinyl ig with foxguard steel walls,gli liner ,hayward de filter,hayward heatpro heat pump,hayward colorlogic 4.0 led.pentair circular weir skimmers.hayward sharkvac xl robot,gli mesh cover.polk atrium speakers,sonos music system.erie pa.

4. Back To Top    #4

In Michigan near Ann Arbor from 1990 to 2000, we used a heater in the beginning of the season, but by June the solar cover was sufficient, through when we quit using the pool in mid September. I can't speak to the gas vs. heat pump question, but IMHO the heater is only for extending the season, especially on the early end. This despite the fact that where we lived was unusually cloudy; I remember frequently talking to friends and relatives that lived only 50 miles away and it would be sunny there but not where we were.

In August we'd leave the solar cover off to keep it from going over 90. That was a 20 kgal, 3 to 8 foot deep pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ft Lauderdale, Florida

TroublefreePat, I can tell you that we have well over 10,000 AquaCal heat pumps installed throughout the Northeast, and they operate just fine during the normal pool season. If you're sized correctly, you shouldn't need to extend your normal pump run time. You should realize that there are some conditions in which a heat pump may struggle to heat though, but as I mentioned, your normal swim season will not be a problem for a heat pump.
    You can use this cost estimator, ... mator/?btn , to calculate your anticipated electrical cost. let me know if I can help with this.
    Sean Assam -
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators