Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is your favorite chemicals to clean the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is your favorite chemicals to clean the pool?

Today there are several option out of chlorine like Bromine or Biguanide. I even heard that some people used hydrogen peroxyde.

what do you use?

For which reasons do you use this particular chemical?

Thank you.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is your favorite chemicals to clean the pool?

Welcome to TFP!!!

I would guess that 95+% of the members here use chlorine. Because it is the cheapest and most effective.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, doud5

In the US, there are only 3 approved sanitizers for pools: Chlorine, Bromine, and Biguanide. Hydrogen peroxide is not approved.

Biguanide: You will find many posts here about algae, cloudy water, and the expense related to Biguanide. Most discussions on it, end up with the poster changing to chlorine. I sure wouldn't use it.

Bromine: Can work but is more expensive and you will have to use more than chlorine due to the lack of sun protection. Also, imo the smell of bromine is not desirable.

Chlorine: Is the easiest and cheapest method. Following the methods taught here on tfp will eliminate the issues people sometimes associate with chlorine (burning eyes, and "chlorine" smell).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP doud5!

CHLORINE for me. The one and only thing.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

What is your favorite chemicals to clean the pool?

Welcome to TFP!!
    Liquid chlorine "bleach" is the only thing I will use.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

When we say CHLORINE... we mean LIQUID CHLORINE for the vast majority of the users here, IMHO. Solid forms of chlorine (powder, granule, pucks) have other chemicals to bind the chlorine and the side effects of that binder can be adverse.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by doud5
    Today there are several option out of chlorine like Bromine or Biguanide.
    what do you use?
    For which reasons do you use this particular chemical?
    Thank you.
    I use sodium hypochlorite. You can find it under the trade name as household bleach. I use it because all it adds other than chlorine is a little salt. I do not use anything with the word shock or magic or anything like that. I can't tell you the last time I had to raise my chlorine to fix a problem "i.e. shock my pool". Hope that helps.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome Doud5. I use chlorine like most people except I make it at home using a salt water chlorine generator. It sure beats lugging chemicals and driving to the store. I did a ton of research and all methods other than liquid chlorine or SWCG try to explain why they are better. Trust me, they are not better. Sooner or later you will be using chlorine. Just search this forum for bigaunide and bromine and see what I mean. Good luck.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome!

Chlorine for me. I usually use household bleach. If I need to add CYA, I'll use a bag of the "shock" that I have from before I became enlightened. I don't shock with it, though; I just use enough to get the chlorine level up while raising CYA at the same time.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex