I need Help in California

cottielee

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Fontana California
I am a fairly new home and pool owner. I have a pool guy because I could not maintain the pool myself. Recently I had a full blown algae bloom and the police showed up at my door 2 days ago ordering me to drain my pool immediately. I did and my pool guy is recommending either I do the following to refill my pool:

1. Do a chlorine wash for $160 which will include conditioner for my pool or
2. Do a trichlor treatment for $30 + $30 for conditioner.

He says this will hopefully prevent the algae from returning once I refill my pool. I understand that
my pool should not remain empty for a prolonged period as plaster/concrete pools can and will crack.

Please advise as to the best course of action.

Here in CA, the houses are often pretty close together, like sometimes 10-15 feet close. A few years back their was a huge scare of standing water and the West Nile Virus. Since then, a lot of cities have come down hard on those that fail to maintain a clean mosquito free pool. Some cities even go as far as having helicopters fly over neighborhoods to identify pool owners who are in violation. As far as the Police getting involved, that is a new one to me. I'm an Officer and never received a call about a green swimming pool, but then again I patrol in worst part of Los Angeles where the only pools with water are owned by the city.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You need to do a good bit of reading to learn about the chemistry in Pool School starting with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You need adequate chlorine in the pool and then you will never have algae. Did the pool guy allow this or did you hire someone after the algae problem.

I am amazed that the police have the power to tell you to drain immediately ... that is illogical. If the fear was mosquitos or something, you could have eliminated that problem by following the SLAM Process. After only a few days, the pool would not have been a swamp any more ... it would not have been clear, but it would not have been dark green with stuff living in it.

It was the regular police. Fontana Police Department. They issued a notice of violation on Tuesday that states they received a complaint of a green non circulating pool. Must clear and circulate or drain by Thursday. I think the fine would have been $500.00 if I would not have complied.

My pool guy had been battling the algae problem for about 2 to 3 weeks and it looks like he lost the battle.

I work long hours and am get home after 7 pm and leave at 6 am so I don't have the time to do it myself at present. I do plan to continue to follow this forum and try to take over my pool when my time and schedule permits.

I recommend you read the Pool School article but to make things easier, you will need a fresh fill of water and liquid chlorine to kill the algae and any other organisms growing in the pool.

When you get the pool full, add enough chlorine to get you to 10FC, Poolcalculator.com will help you calculate it how much. if your 15K gallons is accurate, its about 2 gallons of 8.25% "extra strength" bleach... like this

0007874211466_500X500.jpg

With a clean fill and this bleach, you will have clean water in less than a week but you need to add bleach/chlorine everyday to keep it clear.

While it sounds bad, this drain and fill for a pool that will not "ungreen" is a blessing in disguise. I would be willing to bet your CYA Conditioner was sky-high and prevented the chlorine from doing it's job.

You need a better pool guy. You can do it yourself with 5 minutes of work each day. Save the $100 a month/week and spend about less than $200 a year.