Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I need Help in California

1. Back To Top    #1

I need Help in California

I am a fairly new home and pool owner. I have a pool guy because I could not maintain the pool myself. Recently I had a full blown algae bloom and the police showed up at my door 2 days ago ordering me to drain my pool immediately. I did and my pool guy is recommending either I do the following to refill my pool:

1. Do a chlorine wash for $160 which will include conditioner for my pool or
    2. Do a trichlor treatment for $30 + $30 for conditioner.

He says this will hopefully prevent the algae from returning once I refill my pool. I understand that
    my pool should not remain empty for a prolonged period as plaster/concrete pools can and will crack.

Please advise as to the best course of action.
    14K Gallon IG Gunite Pool built in 2005, Century Centurion 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Sqft. Cartridge filter, MiniMax Pentair NT Heater, The Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2005 test kit with Taylor K-1515-A FAS-DPD Chlorine Test. SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I need Help in California

Welcome to TFP!

You need water in your pool, and then follow Defeating Algae to clear it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

The police showed up? Ya'll have Pool Police?
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

4. Back To Top    #4

Here in CA, the houses are often pretty close together, like sometimes 10-15 feet close. A few years back their was a huge scare of standing water and the West Nile Virus. Since then, a lot of cities have come down hard on those that fail to maintain a clean mosquito free pool. Some cities even go as far as having helicopters fly over neighborhoods to identify pool owners who are in violation. As far as the Police getting involved, that is a new one to me. I'm an Officer and never received a call about a green swimming pool, but then again I patrol in worst part of Los Angeles where the only pools with water are owned by the city.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!!

You need to do a good bit of reading to learn about the chemistry in Pool School starting with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You need adequate chlorine in the pool and then you will never have algae. Did the pool guy allow this or did you hire someone after the algae problem.

I am amazed that the police have the power to tell you to drain immediately ... that is illogical. If the fear was mosquitos or something, you could have eliminated that problem by following the SLAM Process. After only a few days, the pool would not have been a swamp any more ... it would not have been clear, but it would not have been dark green with stuff living in it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

It was the regular police. Fontana Police Department. They issued a notice of violation on Tuesday that states they received a complaint of a green non circulating pool. Must clear and circulate or drain by Thursday. I think the fine would have been $500.00 if I would not have complied.

My pool guy had been battling the algae problem for about 2 to 3 weeks and it looks like he lost the battle.

I work long hours and am get home after 7 pm and leave at 6 am so I don't have the time to do it myself at present. I do plan to continue to follow this forum and try to take over my pool when my time and schedule permits.
    14K Gallon IG Gunite Pool built in 2005, Century Centurion 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Sqft. Cartridge filter, MiniMax Pentair NT Heater, The Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2005 test kit with Taylor K-1515-A FAS-DPD Chlorine Test. SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

I recommend you read the Pool School article but to make things easier, you will need a fresh fill of water and liquid chlorine to kill the algae and any other organisms growing in the pool.

When you get the pool full, add enough chlorine to get you to 10FC, Poolcalculator.com will help you calculate it how much. if your 15K gallons is accurate, its about 2 gallons of 8.25% "extra strength" bleach... like this

With a clean fill and this bleach, you will have clean water in less than a week but you need to add bleach/chlorine everyday to keep it clear.

While it sounds bad, this drain and fill for a pool that will not "ungreen" is a blessing in disguise. I would be willing to bet your CYA Conditioner was sky-high and prevented the chlorine from doing it's job.

You need a better pool guy. You can do it yourself with 5 minutes of work each day. Save the $100 a month/week and spend about less than $200 a year.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like you pool guy was a complete waste of money and has now cost you more by their negligence.

As Guy said, it does not take long to do it yourself.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    You can do it yourself with 5 minutes of work each day.
    Once your pool is cleaned-up, this is about all it takes during the swim season for daily chlorine and pH testing and adjusting as needed.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.