Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need a winter cover but no room

1. Back To Top    #1

need a winter cover but no room

i need to figure out some way to cover pool for the winter. i have a deck built all around the pool . there is no way to get a regular agp cover between pool and deck. would like to get an inground safety cover and attach it to deck but cant afford it right now. what are my other choices thx.
    15x30x54 AG,2HP2SP PUMP 400LB SAND FILTER

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need a winter cover but no room

One option is to use water bags as weights to hold a standard agp winter cover to your deck.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

would a tarp work doing it like that with the waterbags would like to keep the expense to a minimum this yr and buy a good winter safety cover next yr

4. Back To Top    #4

An opaque tarp should work fine.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

i just seen on the big interweb a mesh agp cover this will allow rain and snow melt water through but keep all the nasties out it was $80 this should work as long as it is secured to the deck properly . wht do you think

6. Back To Top    #6

If it is the type of mesh cover that totally blocks the sunlight (that is what I have...I think it was called "fine mesh") then I would say that is a good choice.

7. Back To Top    #7

would the regular mesh not work. too much sunlight get through. the micro mesh are a lot higher priced

8. Back To Top    #8

Good question, I am not sure. Mine is not "micro mesh"...those are more expensive...mine is "fine mesh". "Mesh" may be okay, but again, you do not want sun getting through.

9. Back To Top    #9

yeah i found one for $100 bucks fine mesh says it blocks nearly all sunlight . should work i am just going to wrap the edges around some 2x2s and screw them to the deck should work fine.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Years ago when my sister-in-law lived here in NY she had an above ground with a wrap around deck. Having no way to use a conventional cover mounting system, I came up with this idea. I installed t-nuts http://www.zorotools.com/g/00057017/k-G ... g_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=COT6hNXAybkCFRIaOgod9AgAVQ I the wood deck. I used the cover as a template to drill the holes. After I marked out the hole locations I moved all of them in 3-4 inches to allow some slack in the cover. I used Stainless t-nuts and stainless pan head machine screws to bolt the cover down. We used a plastic 55 gal drum from the hardware store for a float (I still use one on mine). This worked well to keep the cover in place. Some debris did blow in under the edges due to the slack we allowed for. Water tubes would probably eliminate this. Never tried them as she moved to Dallas a couple years later.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump