Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: light removal

1. Back To Top    #1

light removal

Getting ready to slam my pool due to CC being too high and algae in the pool. I have an Amerlite light in the pool and was wondering what type of head the "Special pilot screw" has on it. Also if anyone has removed one of these how difficult is it and will I need to replace any parts if I take it out?
    15,000 gallon plaster pool with spa and water fall, 250 Pentair MiniMax Plus Heater
    Nautilus FNS FIberglass D.E. Filter 48 Sq ft, Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + TFTestkits Chlorine & CCs Kit.
    Oak trees overhanging most of pool

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: light removal

Mine is "special" only in that is made of brass rather than stainless (I believe it's brass). It's an ordinary slotted screw in every other respect.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is a phillips head screw, and a fairly large one. The first time I removed it it required a rather large screwdriver and quite a bit of elbow grease (dunno how long it had been since it was removed). If yours is like mine, once the screw is out the whole assembly should come out with enough spare wire to bring it up to the deck. You shouldn't have to replace anything if you don't disassemble it any further. Should you need to take it apart for any reason its recommended that you replace the gasket.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info guys. I just finished slamming and pased the OCLT last night so if issues return quickly I will be removing the lights becasue everything else has been scrubbed and that is the only place left for algae to be hiding.
    15,000 gallon plaster pool with spa and water fall, 250 Pentair MiniMax Plus Heater
    Nautilus FNS FIberglass D.E. Filter 48 Sq ft, Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit + TFTestkits Chlorine & CCs Kit.
    Oak trees overhanging most of pool