Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Crete and Pool Liners

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Crete and Pool Liners

Hi
    Brand new to this site and I have a few questions.

Do we measure for a inground pool liner before or after the pool crete has been completed? I have been told both.

IF we complete the pool crete and then measure and order the liner, do we need to cover the pool crete with tarp?

Is it OK for a DIY person to to tackle the task of pool crete? My husband has poured many yards of concrete and knows how to do.

Installing the liner, it is getting late in the year, is it OK to install and not have a hot day?

Do we need to install the liner this fall? Can we do next spring?

Thank you for your time and your expertise!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Crete and Pool Liners

My PB puts poolcrete just before placing liner. He doesn't want to leave poolcrete exposed to elements. Just my 2c.
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

3. Back To Top    #3

We did our poolcrete with my family. My nephew has a concrete company and trowels concrete for a living. Took a little bit for him to set the hang of it but he got it done in 8 hours with the help of 4 guys and it came out great.

You must measure for the liner AFTER poolcrete is in.

You will want to cover the poolcrete until you get your liner ordered and installed.

If it was me I would put the liner in now and not wait til fall
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for answering my questions. Now we are waiting for no rain in the forecast for 3 days before we start the poolcrete task.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by zandp
    Now we are waiting for no rain in the forecast for 3 days before we start the poolcrete task.
    Do you really trust weather forecast?
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by zandp
    Thanks for answering my questions. Now we are waiting for no rain in the forecast for 3 days before we start the poolcrete task.

Are you planning on it taking 3 days? If you can get it done in 1 day, then tarp it until your liner is ready.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

We plan on pool creteing in one day, waiting 24hrs before we can walk on it and 3 days of no rain after the job is completed. No rain all summer and now when we are close to finishing this gigantic project, we have rain in the forecast. Yes we will tarp while waiting for the liner.

8. Back To Top    #8

When we did mine, it rained the next morning when we finished it. it was tarped. Rained all day that next day. We did it on a saturday, rain was done late sunday. Was able to go out and walk on it Monday and start cleaning it up. We scraped/sanded some bad spots, pathched some low areas. Covered it back up with the tarp and then 2 weeks later the liner came. The day the liner was to be installed, a storm rolled in. We planned on putting the liner in at around noon. The storm came and rains went away around 2. However, the electric went out. At around 6 we decided to go ahead and put the liner in. We took an hour and swept, cleaned, swept, cleaned, swept, cleaned. I prayed that electric would come back so we could stick the vac in and suck out the air behind the liner.5 of us (2 men 3 women) dropped the liner and got it in place. Around 7:30ish the electric finally came back on, fired up the vac and had water running by 8. By 9 it was close to dark, I was in the deepend with a spotlight up above cutting in the MD's. Painfully cold water!

Moral of the story is I dont think you need 3 days of dry weather. 1 day of no rain to get the base in. Find another dry day to do your final finishing.