Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing Pool

Hi,

I'm thinking I will be closing our above ground pool for the first time. Last year was the first year we were taking care of the pool and had a pool company come out and close it. Anyway, I was going through the pool school instructions for closing the above ground pool, and just wanted to make sure I understood everything.

First question is related to the below steps. Last year the company had me leave the pool at normal water height. And then I bought a skimmer gizmo and plugged the return. Would that be correct for the below steps? After using the gizmo and plugging the return, do I need to do anything to be able to remove both of the hoses from the pool?

* Drain water to 6" below lowest return/skimmer opening and hoses/fittings removed.

* Skimmer/return plugs or "gizmos" may be installed or they may be left open - this is a personal choice for each pool owner

Next question related to the below step. I'm not sure if I have a multi-port/spider gasket. Would I not have one with a cartridge filter - do you need more information? Next, I'm just thinking, I don't really have any other smaller fittings, hardware or filter drain plugs. I think I just have the pump basket and the skimmer basket. Am I missing something?

* Remove muti-port/spider gasket. Smaller fittings, hardware and filter drain plugs can be stored inside pump pot basket - lube pump pot basket with silicone lube. Remaining pump hardware can be placed inside gallon zip-lock bag and taped to side of pump.

To sum up, the only thing I'm really doing for closing the pool is cleaning/going through the shock process - no problem. Putting the skimmer gizmo and return plug on. Removing the hoses, draining the filter - bringing that inside. And putting the winter cover on.

Really appreciate the help!
    30' round AGP. Haywood X Stream cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing Pool

We need to know where you live and how much freezing for recommendations.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. I live in NJ. I would say freezing is a concern.

4. Back To Top    #4

Did your pool hard freeze (solid block)?

Here (mn) they do, so I definitely drain mine 6" below the skimmer, blow out all lines (I have buried hard plumbed lines), then I cap them. I leave my skimmer outlet open so that it can drain. I drain my pump and bring it inside.

You probably do not have a multiport, since you have a cart filter. I have one on my sand filter, in that case I drain my filter and leave the drain cap off and set my filter to the "winterize" position that just leaves the valve cracked open.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Linen,

Thanks for the information on the multiport. The pool didn't hard freeze last year. But, I did drain the pump and bring it inside last year.