Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter cover for first time pool closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Winter cover for first time pool closing

Getting prepared to close down the pool after our first season. I do not have a winter cover yet and thought I would get some advice before ordering. How are these installed on a pool with a partial deck (photo attached)? If I order a cover for a 28' pool, how much larger is the cover? Any advice on what type of cover to get for this type of pool would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter cover for first time pool closing

The cover should come oversized, and the dimensions should be listed. Depending how far you drain down, I would want a cover that is at least 5 ft larger in diameter than the pool.

Typically the cover is secured by a cable that runs through grommets on the cover and is placed below the outside of the top rails. If you can't fit the cover between your deck and the top rail, then it is probably easiest to use water bags on that side.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

It looks like there is not enough space between the deck and the top rail for the cover to fit (only about 1/4" in some places). Do you simply overlap the cover onto the deck, then place water bags on top of it? And when you say "water bags", exactly what do you mean? Would bags of sand work or gallon jugs of water?
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have 1/4" then I think you could "fish" the cover through there and then run the cable around from underneath. After the cable is cinched, just pull it the cover up and tight so that the cover slack is in the pool.

Water bags are tubes, kind of like sand tubes that can be filled up part way with water. Sand tubes can work, though are a little harder to handle. It would probably take a lot of water jugs to work.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Look at my post below at the bottom...ezpz with the right parts. I'm VERY happy with my system. Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions.

need-winter-cover-help-for-oval-agp-with-deck-around-half-t68890.html
    Swim 'N Play Deluxe 8000 15 x 30 (buttress free, vinyl)
    13,500 gallons
    Hayward horse and a half pump
    Hayward sand filter