Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baker Hydropak

1. Back To Top    #1

Baker Hydropak

Hello Everyone,

I just moved into a house with a green and cloudy pool and the pool uses a Baker Hydropak skimmer with the filter under the basket. It doesn't seem very efficient. When I remove the filter, the dirty water contained therein falls back into the skimmer and some goes out into the pool. After I clean the filter and reinstall, all that dirty water gets sucked into the pump and out the jets. I do not like this filter. Near the pump is a cylinder with a cap which I believe is a tri chlor tablet dispenser. I wonder if I can remove this dispenser and replace it with a cartridge filter and eliminate the filter in the skimmer? I will post photos shortly.

I ordered a test kit and I will post results upon arrival.
    Many Thanks,
    Russ Stevenson
    10k in ground plaster
    Build date around 1980
    1.0 HP pump, Baker Hydropak Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baker Hydropak

It shouldn't be too difficult to plumb a new filter into your system. Once you post your picture we can help you determine the best placement for the filter.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Again,

I've attached a photo of my pool pump. Again, the filter is under the skimmer basket. Please notice the two timers in the photo. The timer on the right controls the pump motor. The timer on the left seems to control nothing except the timer on the right - a timer controlling a timer. I don't understand it at all. But I digress. I was thinking that I would enlarge the concrete pad and put a new filter and pump assembly on the new pad and eliminate the filter under the skimmer basket. But I don't see how I will be able to change the flow from the skimmer to the drain in the deep end of the pool. It seems as if there is something missing. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Many Thanks,
    Russ Stevenson
    10k in ground plaster
    Build date around 1980
    1.0 HP pump, Baker Hydropak Skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Your main drain is most likely plumbed into your skimmer bottom. There should be a diverter in the bottom of the skimmer, but I'm not familar with the Baker Hydro skimmer so I don't know how it works.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit