Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC

1. Back To Top    #1

Good morning

Can you experts answer me a question?
    On testing my FC the reading was above 5 which is my maximum. I was informed if I put 50% pool water and 50% tap water (no chlorine in the tap water) then X2 that will give me a reading up to 10. Could I then, in theory put 25% pool water and 75% tap water then X4 to be able to calculate higher FC readings.

Or is my logic failing just like my eyesight hearing and memory, fortunately I still have my good looks. lol
    Living in Cyprus
    In ground overflow pool tiled 12m X 4m 19507 Us gals 16243 Imp gals
    1 Kw motor 15 cu m per min Sand filter
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but it was just some PERSON with a torch walking toward me.
    I started out in life with nothing and I still have most of it left.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Florida Panhandle

Re: FC

You can do that, but you need to be aware that the accuracy of your results decreases exponentially with each dilution.
    "The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." ~ W. Rian Adams
    Relative's IG Vinyl | 16x32 | ~18,600 gals | Hayward 3/4hp Pump | Hayward S244T Filter | Pentair Model 300 Chlorinator (not used) | Polaris 180

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: FC

I wouldn't use tap water for dilution of FC. It could be chlorinated already which would interfere. And it might not be (which could be bad) and it would interfere. I would use distilled water only on FC dilution and no more than a 50% split. Because of time, agitation, and interference, the FC test is more susceptible to degradation and inaccuracy than a mineral test for CH or TA.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr