cloudy water and 0 Chlorine

kutsyy

Mar 1, 2013
For the last month I've been trying to get chemistry of my new pool into the limits. My main issue was a strong smell of chlorine.

We were out this weekend, so I didn't check pool for a few days. When I checked pool on Monday, there was absolutely no smell, but tests showed no Chlorine either (I have tablet chlorinator so there should be some) and water became cloudy. That night I shocked my pool. When I tested pool Tuesday night, there was again no smell and no Chlorine again. Tuesday night I shocked it with 2 bags. Wednesday morning same thing, so Wednesday night I tried to shock it with 3/4 gallon of 15% Chlorine. Today there is 0 Chlorine again.

I think low chlorine and cloudiness related, but how? If it would be Algee then it would be killed by now and there would be a smell.

Here is my test from today, it's been the same for the week (ph was 7.8 in the beginning of the week, before I added acid):

FAC=0
TAC=0
CH=200
CYA=20
TA=110
pH=7.2
TDS=500
Phosphates=700

As this point I am trying to get rid of Phosphates so I added Phos Free.

Does anyone have any recommendation on what could be going on? When pump is on, there is Chlorine in the pool, about 1.0ppm.

Thanks,

Vadim

Welcome to tfp, kutsyy :wave:

The strong chlorine smell was "combined chlorine" (CC). CC is the byproduct of chlorine killing organics, when you have it (in your case smell it), it is a sign that you have a problem.

kutsyy said:
When I checked pool on Monday, there was absolutely no smell, but tests showed no Chlorine either (I have tablet chlorinator so there should be some) and water became cloudy.
This makes sense, you had no chlorine due to algae in the pool and therefore were also not producing CC. It is likely the chlorinator can not keep up with the algae growth rate.

kutsyy said:
I think low chlorine and cloudiness related, but how? If it would be Algee then it would be killed by now and there would be a smell.
Since your pool is low in FC and you have smelled CC, you need to do the SLAM process. Keep in mind it is a process and not a one time act and can take a few days to kill the algea. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

To do the process correctly and efficiently you will need an appropriate test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison Many of us have the tf-100 since it is the best value.

kutsyy said:
Tuesday night I shocked it with 2 bags.
What were in the two bags? We recommend doing the SLAM procedure using bleach/liquid chlorine.

kutsyy said:
I would return the phosfree...phosphates do not matter in a properly chlorinated pool.

Make sure to spend some time in pool school (link is always near the upper right of page).

Thank you for quick responce.

linen said:
kutsyy said:
Since your pool is low in FC and you have smelled CC, you need to do the SLAM process. Keep in mind it is a process and not a one time act and can take a few days to kill the algea. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool
But there was absolutely no smell. I did read about SLAM, unfortunately I didn't have time.
linen said:
To do the process correctly and efficiently you will need an appropriate test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison Many of us have the tf-100 since it is the best value.
I have Oreq deluxe test kit (given by the contractor).
linen said:
kutsyy said:
Tuesday night I shocked it with 2 bags.
What were in the two bags? We recommend doing the SLAM procedure using bleach/liquid chlorine.
Bags are shockplus by aquachem (also left by contractor). I know that liquid is better, and that's what I did next day.
linen said:
kutsyy said:
I would return the phosfree...phosphates do not matter in a properly chlorinated pool.

Make sure to spend some time in pool school (link is always near the upper right of page).

too late on phosfree, I already used half of it, but right now I am trying to bring chemistry to "perfect" settings. I did (still) read pool school and I was not too worried about Phosphates but at this point I want to make clean it right.

So My understanding is that it is due to algea, even if I don't see/feel any, right? Fact that there is no smell of free chlorine is ok too, right? And at this point you I need to follow SLAM procedure to make sure that I kill all algea.

In meantime, I am assuming that pool is safe to swim in, right?

Thank you,

Vadim

Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. The importance of adequate chlorine cannot be over emphasized.

Smell or no smell is somewhat irrelevant.....if you have no chlorine in your pool, you will develop algae (and you have).

If you cannot find the time to SLAM the pool (it may take several days), you will continue to be plagued by cloudy water and algae.

I am surprised by your CYA of 20 ppm. Using pucks to chlorinate, your CYA would normally be much higher. That low CYA could be indicative, however, of just how little chlorine you have actually applied to your pool.

Regardless, after you Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry", you should the read "SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain" in the How To section and then prepare to SLAM the pool.

You will have to gain a better understanding of the parameters involved (especially chlorine) and you will have to follow the SLAM process to clear your pool. Thousands of us here on the forum keep our pools crystal clear following the methods TFP teaches.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.