New Pump Motor Help

Jun 10, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Hey All, I currently have a Pentair WF 28 2.0HP Single Speed motor but it is dying and I need a replacement. I know next to nothing about pools and have been reading articles on this forum and from around the web elsewhere. The pool is roughly 9,000 gallons with no water features or spa. It does, however, have solar heating. Should I replace it with the same one? Or opt for say a 2.5HP version? Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Welcome to tfp, ABSiNTH :wave:

Definitely do not go bigger, your current pump is already too big.

What shape is the "wet end"...i.e. the pumping end of the pump?

One option would be to change out your current motor for a 2-speed of the same size and then you would run on low for most of the time except when you need solar heating. Another choice would be to replace the current motor and pump impeller with a smaller ones. Both of the these options will likely save you electricity, the second more than the first.

If there is just a singe breaker feeding the pump, then it is probably 115 volt, if there are two breakers feeding the pump, then it is likely 230 volt. We need to know to help select a new motor.

If you do decide to replace the pump, make sure to go with at least a 2-speed pump and probably no bigger than a 1 hp (we can help you select it).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.