Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH drop as a proxy for CYA reduction?

1. Back To Top    #1

CH drop as a proxy for CYA reduction?

I'm new here so it's quite possible I've missed something that's been discussed many times. Anyway, I'm incrementally draining my pool for various dumb reasons and it's darkish when I leave for work and darkish by the time I get home and have dinner all of which adds up to: there are lots of requirements for a good CYA test. Outside, bright sun at your back, waist level, good eyesight and judgment. I haven't been able to perform a decent CYA test for the week that I've had the test kit. My initial, good-as-I-could CYA test was 160 (50% dilution).

However, I know my CH was 820, I've done a few mini-drain/refills on the pool, now the CH is 625ish. That's a 24% drop so it stands to reason that my CYA has dropped by 24% as well, right?

But that doesn't account for the fact the the new water has CH of 80 and CYA of 0 so it's not exactly apples to apples. I can plug the numbers into the PoolCalulator, including the 80, and it says if I want to take my CH from 820 to 625 I should replace 26% of the water. So if I fiddle with the CYA numbers a 26% drain gets me from 160 to 118.

Anything wrong with my logic here?
    ~15.3K gal, IG plaster c.2006, Hayward 1.5 HP 2-speed, 425 sqft cartridge filter, 1 skimmer, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH drop as a proxy for CYA reduction?

I don't think it is quite that simple. I think what you described would be true if you had done one 1 drain and refill of 26%, but I think the fact that you did it in multiple steps may not make the CYA calculation true.

Lets say you did a 10% and then 10% and then 10%
    Doing the math that would lower the CH to 620ppm (pretty close actually to what you got)
    For the CYA you would have 160*.9*.9*.9 = 117ppm .... hmmm well that is pretty darn close to your estimate, so maybe you logic does work
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Nothing wrong with the logic, but there are other factors. Evaporation, sample precision, and testing error. Also, CYA is not a precision test anyway. Very close, and more than adequate, but not extremely precise. To be blunt, 24% VS 26% is splitting hairs for pool chemistry talking about CH levels.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Every one does things a bit differently but if that was my pool, I would do larger drain increments and get your CYA to a manageable level of around 50 which will also bring your CH down into a more reasonable range.

That math would be an approx 33% drain followed by another approx 33% drain and your pool will be much easier to get along with.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

As always..duraleigh is keeping it simple.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

6. Back To Top    #6

The other factor here is what is the CH of your fill water, unlike CYA which is a pool only chemical you will have CH in your fill water, also the amount may vary depending on the source of your water. (if your on a municipal water system, your home may be fed by multiple sources each with varying amounts of CH, which may change hour by hour as demand and balancing of the supply changes.)

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree it could Isaac, but he is basing this on 80 CH.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    Which I did not realize was possible in the calculator.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I think I'm accounting for the incremental drains by keeping the original numbers as the reference point rather than the incremental numbers.

I don't think I'm under any illusions about accuracy. The 820 is +/- 10. The 625 is +/- 25 because I used the less drops/less accurate test. But I'm just looking for a ballpark idea of how my CYA is going down so I can lower my FC levels accordingly. I'm trying to be conservative while aiming for the high side of the FC range while not using more than I actually need to.

I'm hoping to do a more dramatic drain/fill this weekend. I know the incremental method uses more water and chlorine due to draining some of what is added each time.

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    Which I did not realize was possible in the calculator.
    Yeah, I was thinking about how to account for it when I found it in the calculator. I thought it was pretty cool that it was there!
    ~15.3K gal, IG plaster c.2006, Hayward 1.5 HP 2-speed, 425 sqft cartridge filter, 1 skimmer, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, TF-100